His legacy is staggering, he started it all, he influenced everyone, he was the one and only Elvis Presley who sits atop the throne of all modern music and that is why he is known as the king of rock and roll. When you scratch the surface you see the man but this superstar was as humble and as kind as they came. Etta James saw the real Elvis when she described him as: "supercool and extra-respectful, with his 'pleased to meet you, ma'am' gentlemanly manners. He also touched my heart, many years later when my good friend Jackie Wilson was down and out, vegetating in some funky convalescent home. Elvis moved Jackie to a decent hospital - and paid for everything".
The chairman of the board Frank Sinatra recognised his greatness: "I am just a singer. Elvis was the embodiment of the whole American culture".
The accolades about Elvis from the upper echelons of the music industry are legion, I could not find a bad intended word said about him on a personal or professional level. There was one story I loved about Elvis and it all came about because his manager Colonel Tom Parker urged him not to take his all black "Sweet Inspirations" backing group to 6 shows in Texas in 1970; Elvis was quoted as replying: "Fine, then we won't do any more gigs in Texas or any other such places that don't accept them. In fact, if they don't accept them, they don't accept me".
They all went and played to in excess of 200,000 adoring fans at 6 consecutive sellouts at the Houston Astrodome.
I found some amazing quotes about the king so instead of writing full a bio I decided to just use these one liners from other stars to emphasise "a little more spark" about the king than my mere mortal words could ever achieve.
James Brown got all brotherly in his admiration: "I wasn't just a fan, I was his brother ... I love him and hope to see him in heaven. There'll never be another like that soul brother".
When the king of the ring speaks you tend to listen, here's Muhammad Ali's verdict: "When it comes to boxing nobody has the class, the style, the wit, the speed and beauty of Ali. When it comes to singing nobody had everything like Elvis".
John Legend went soul seeking for inspiration: "I wanted to channel my inner Elvis".
John Lennon was a wannabee: "I wanted to be Elvis. Before Elvis, there was nothing".
Singer and songwriter Jimmy Buffet understood "The South" as he was quoted as saying about Elvis: "He was the only man from Northern Mississippi who could shake his hips, and still be loved by rednecks, cops and hippies".
A whole volume of books could be written just about what actors, singers, politicians and royalty have said about the greatest rock n' roller of all time and who could forget the epic line; "Elvis has left the building" that every stadium, arena and theatre announcer had said coast to coast across the USA. He was the first, the last and the only king, no-one else will ever occupy his throne, so I take great pride in my compilation of 20 of the best Elvis Presley quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Elvis Aaron Presley
- Born: 8th January 1935, Tupelo, Mississippi, U.S.
- Died: 16th August 1977, Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.
- Occupation: Singer and actor
- Genres: Rock and roll, R&B and pop
- Nicknames: The King, The Pelvis and The King of Rock 'n' Roll
- Height: 5' 11¾" (1.82 m)
- Influenced: The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Lionel Richie, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Michael Jackson, Prince, Kiss, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Meatloaf, Rod Stewart, James Taylor, Frankie Valli, Barry White, The Beach Boys, Stevie Wonder and many more
- Inspiration: The husky voiced walrus of love Barry White was doing time when he was inspired to go on the straight and narrow after hearing Elvis's 1960 hit "It's Now Or Never", he came out of prison after a 4 months sentence for stealing tyres and never looked back
- Trivia: When he burst onto the scene in 1955 TV cameramen were ordered to focus above the waistline due to his pelvic gyrations that sent teenage girls into a frenzy of hysterical screaming
- Quotes about Elvis Presley: Louis Armstrong had done the maths: "You ask me if I think he is good. How many Cadillacs was it he bought.? That boy's no fool"
- Chuck Berry spoke respectfully: "He was the greatest there ever was, is, or ever will be. We did not have the airwaves he had, but he delivered what he obtained brilliantly"
- Bing Crosby was gracious in the transition to rock n' roll: "No-one could have opened the door to the future like he did"
- Buddy Holly just knew: "None of us could have made it without Elvis"
- Swiss actress Ursula Andress reminisced with kind affection about her great friend: "He was in fact, a one in a billion type, a wholly adorable person and we remained in touch till his death"
- While the super model Naomi Campbell just nailed it: "I didn't see a colour, he wasn't white, he wasn't black... he was Elvis"
"Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine"
"The image is one thing and the human being is another, it's very hard to live up to an image"
"Take care of the fans and they will sure as hell take care of you"
"To judge a man by his weakest link or deed is like judging the power of the ocean by one wave"
"Man, I was tame compared to what they do now. Are you kidding? I didn't do anything but just jiggle"
"I just know that, right now, … the biggest record selling business there is is rock and roll"
"There is a season for everything, patience will reward you and reveal all answers to your questions"
"I had too much praise, too much flattery and fawning over and I needed to remember who I was, where I came from"
"The Army can do anything it wants with me"
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away"
"If you let your head get too big, it'll break your neck"
"Do what's right for you, so long as it don't hurt no one"
"Envy someone an' it pulls you down. Admire them and it builds you up. Which makes more sense?"
"You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore"
"There's no job too immense, when you got confidence"
"After a hard day of basic training, you could eat a rattlesnake"
"Talent is being able to sell what you're feeling"
"The only thing worse than watching a bad movie is being in one"
"Animals don't hate and we're supposed to be better than them"
"If you cry when you’re in love, it sure ain’t no disgrace"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts