I cannot think of a world leader as richly decorated with worldwide awards as is Nelson Mandela, there is everything from honorary awards to world prizes to orders of merit culminating in being awarded the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize. It is very difficult to find anybody that can say a bad word about this man, unless of course you are a racist white supremacist, but even knowing there were still some racist whites he wanted to treat everyone the same, being determined to stamp out all racism Nelson Mandela was quoted as saying: "I detest racialism, because I regard it as a barbaric thing, whether it comes from a black man or a white man". In another famous quote he said: "I dream of an Africa which is in peace with itself", indeed this is a sentiment he used in his speeches and many hope for but few will be fortunate enough to see. I think the majority of this planet concurred Nelson Mandela's thought process, it's just a pity someone like him could not live forever, can you imagine the good he would bring to his people and their neighbours? Not many world leaders rise to the level of universal acclaim to be a statesman of the highest order but Mandela eases into this category with aplomb. His words were listened to and dissected for every possible meaning but he always came across with great dignity and grace despite being subject to great adversity for most of his life. So without further ado, here is my compilation of 10 of the best Nelson Mandela quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela
- Born: 18th July 1918, Mvezo, Cape Province, South Africa
- Died: 5th December 2013, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
- Alma mater: University of Fort Hare, University of London, University of South Africa and University of the Witwatersrand
- Occupation: Lawyer, activist and politician
- Nickname: 'Madiba' which is a sign of respect within his Xhosa tribe and 'Tata' meaning father, especially in relation to him being known as the father of the modern nation of South Africa
- Height: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
- Political party: African National Congress (ANC)
- Firsts: In 1994 he became the first black president of the Republic of South Africa (1994 - 1999)
- Trivia: Robben island the prison that he was incarcerated in for 18 years (1964 - 1982) is now a tourist attraction, he was finally released in 1990 serving the remainder of his incarceration at Pollsmoor prison and Victor Verster prison
"It always seems impossible until it's done"
"After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb"
"Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again"
"Man’s goodness is a flame that can be hidden but never extinguished"
"Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies"
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right"
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
"Real leaders must be ready to sacrifice all for the freedom of their people"
"A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination"
"Money won't create success, the freedom to make it will"