Haile Selassie was the son of a chief adviser to Ethiopian Emperor Menelik IIl and he impressed the ruler so much he was awarded certain responsibilities in which he excelled and this garnered more favour with Menelik until Selassie became heir presumptive to the emperors throne. In 1930 upon the emperors death Haile Selassie succeeded him to the throne and also became a religious cult icon 12,000 kilometers away in Jamaica where the rastafarian movement was started and they proclaimed him as their redeeming messiah who would give deliverance back to their spiritual ancestry of Africa. People with such elevated status are seldom boring and tend to deliver some great one liners, so here is my compilation of 12 of the best Haile Selassie quotes, I hope you enjoy them.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Ras Tafari Makonnen
- Born: 23rd July 1892, Ejersa Goro, Ethiopian Empire
- Died: 27th August 1975, Jubilee Palace, Addis Ababa
- Occupation: Regent and Emperor of Ethiopia
- Religion: Ethiopian Orthodox Christian
- Name: Although born as Ras Tafari Makonnen he changed his name to Haile Selassie upon his ascendancy to be crowned as the new Emperor of Ethiopia in 1930
- Unlikely prophet: In 1920 Marcus Garvey an outspoken Jamaican political figure made a statement saying “Look to Africa for the crowning of a Black king” and this was to be the basis of the Rastafarian movement after Ras Tafari Makonnen was crowned the new Emperor of Ethiopia
- Understanding his name: His name Haile Selassie literally means Emissary of the Holy Trinity
- Musical trivia: The Bob Marley song "War" uses the translated to English words of a 1963 Selassie speech to the United Nations
- Trivia: To add authenticity to him becoming emperor it was claimed he was through his Amharic roots a direct descendant of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba
- Emperor: Selassie was the 226th Negus (emperor) of Ethiopia
"Knowledge is power. If it is not applied properly to create, let there be no doubts, it will destroy"
"You must always remember that to lead, one must first learn to follow"
"It is us today. It will be you tomorrow"
"We have finished the job. What shall we do with the tools?"
"A man who says “I have learned enough and will learn no further” should be considered as knowing nothing at all"
"Many discouraging hours will arise before the rainbow of accomplished goals will appear on the horizon"
"Let us set our goals too high; let us demand more of ourselves than we believe we possess"
"We should accept diversity in culture and tradition and coexist peacefully"
"Feel the needs of others more than your own"
"Man cannot live by bread alone. Man after all is composed of intellect and soul"
"Leadership does not mean domination"
"The fruits of one’s sweat and mental labour are always rewarding"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts