Ringo Starr was a self taught drummer who rose through the Liverpool skittle bands of the late 1950's to join in 1962 what was to become the biggest band the world had ever seen. The Beatles were first formed in 1960 but their undoubted potential remained only an inherent possibility until the final piece of the jigsaw was added when Ringo first picked up the sticks for them. Right from the off it was a match made in heaven, Lennon and Co had found in Starr someone who had an uncanny feel for the timing of the beat of a song yet did not want to overshadow the music with unnecessary drum rolls or even worse solos. Here was a drummer who used percussion to enhance every piece of music the Beatles created, what he did was so subtle that it mostly went unnoticed within the music world as the McCartney and Lennon song writing partnership dominated the worlds attention. Sixties Beatlemania was a phenomenon never seen before and it crossed the globe like a contagion virus of the mind as it encapsulated all who heard their revolutionary brand of music. The Beatles split in 1970 and Ringo was to go on and enjoy a highly successful solo career as a musician and as an actor. He was even in demand for voice overs as he became the narrator of the childrens program Thomas The Tank Engine. At heart he was always a drummer and his talent has been grossly underestimated as has been pointed out by Yoko Ono as she was quoted as saying: "No one is probably going to believe it, but he was the most influential Beatle", which was great praise indeed from the widow of John Lennon. Starrs quips were legendary with some of his quotes like "It's Been A Hard Days Night" being used as song titles and names for movies. From amazing talents comes memorable one liners, so here is my compilation of 12 of the best Ringo Starr quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Richard Starkey
- Born: 7th July 1940, Dingle, Liverpool, U.K.
- Occupation: Drummer, musician and singer
- Instrument: Drums, vocals and percussion
- Stage name: His stage name Ringo Starr was derived from his surname Starkey whilst Ringo was gleaned from his penchant for finger jewellery
- Inspired by: Cozy Cole, Gene Autrey, Jim Keltner and Lee Dorsey
- Admired by: Dave Grohl, Phil Collins, Danny Carey, Nicko McBrain and Phil Rudd
- Firsts unusual: In 1985 he was the first Beatle to become a grandfather and in 2016 he was the first Beatle to become a great grand father
- Marriage resume: Maureen Cox 1965 until 1975 (divorced) Barbara Bach 1981 until present day
- Ringo-isms: His off the cuff remarks like 'tomorrow never knows' and 'it's been a hard days night' were used as inspiration to write the songs of the same names
- Beatles trivia: The Beatles only had one No 1 single with Ringo singing lead vocals when Yellow Submarine topped the U.K. charts in 1966
- Trivia: He was known as both the oldest and youngest Beatle, the oldest relating to each members date of birth and the youngest referring to when each member joined the band
- Quotes about Ringo Starr: Beatles' producer George Martin said of him; "He's always underrated. He's probably the finest rock drummer in the world today... Ringo is the one"
- John Lennon spoke glowingly of him; "I think Ringo's drumming is underrated the same way Paul's bass playing is underrated. Paul and Ringo stand up anywhere with any of the rock musicians"
"America: It's like Britain, only with buttons"
"I had no schooling before I joined The Beatles and no schooling after The Beatles. Life is a great education"
"I'm probably the best rock 'n' roll drummer on earth. I say that now because I used to be embarrassed to speak up for myself"
"I never studied anything, really. I didn't study the drums. I joined bands and made all the mistakes onstage"
"The trouble with leaving your feet on the ground is you never get to take your pants off"
"I've made mountains out of molehills. With meditation, I can keep them as molehills"
"First and foremost I am a drummer. After that, I'm other things"
"I didn't play drums to make money. I played drums because I loved them"
"Everything government touches turns to crap"
"You either kiss the future or the past goodbye"
"I'm getting happier all the time, which is very nice"
"We thought we'd be really big in Liverpool"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts