Paulette Goddard lifted herself out of a difficult childhood with the raw talent she had at her disposal and a burning ambition to lift herself and her mother into a better lifestyle than they had endured. As a young teenager she did seamstress work and was employed as a model for children's clothes for Saks Fifth Avenue and she even donned fashionable hats modeling for Hattie Carnegie. Her heart was set on Hollywood and in 1926 she got a break that was her first step to achieving her dream, her uncle Charles Goddard introduced her to Broadway impresario Florenz Ziegfeld and she was given her first role as a dancer. This just reinforced her resolve to be successful as an actress and it led her to receive numerous roles as extras in movies the late 1920's. Goddard was too talented to remain unnoticed for too long and Sam Goldwyn gave her her first break in the movie Whoopee in 1930 and she was now mingling in the circles of the Hollywood movers and shakers. Further roles came her way and then she met Charlie Chaplin who was at the height of his career and he fell head over heels in love. They married in Canton in China and she graced the screen to much acclaim in a few of his movies and she secured a 10 year contract with Paramount Pictures starring alongside the likes of Bob Hope, Fred Astair, John Wayne and Gary Cooper. After her movie star faded she met her 4th husband and the love of her life Erich Maria Remarque whom she remained with until his death. Great actresses recite great lines but they are also good for one liners off the screen, so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Paulette Goddard quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Pauline Marion Goddard Levy
- Born: 3rd June 1910, Whitestone Landing, Queens, New York, U.S.
- Died: 23rd April 1990, Ronco Sopra Ascona, Ticino, Switzerland
- Occupation: Actress and model
- Stage name: Her stage name Paulette Goddard was first used in 1926 when she appeared as a dancer in Ziegfeld's summer review, No Foolin'
- Marriage resume: Edgar James (28th June 1927 - 9th January 1932) (divorced), Charles Chaplin (1st June 1936 - 4th June 1942) (divorced), Burgess Meredith (21st May 1944 - 8th June 1949) (divorced) and Erich Maria Remarque (25th February 1958 - 25th September 1970) (his death)
- Legacy: Upon her death she bequeathed $20million USD to New York University and in recognition of this they named a students residence in Greenwich village in her honour
- Trivia: She was the personal choice of producer David O. Selznick and favourite to land the role of Scarlett O Hara in the 1939 epic Gone With The Wind, but director George Cukor had doubts about her and eventually she lost out to Vivien Leigh for the role of the century
- Quotes about Paulette Goddard: Russell Birdwell, the head of Gone With The Wind producers Selznick's publicity department was quoted as saying: "I think she is dynamite that will explode in our very faces if she is given the part"
"He who accepts the unaltered philosophy of another is as ludicrous as he who dons his neighbor's hat, and infinitely more ridiculous"
"It's kiss and go with your leading man. You meet them in the morning and go right into a clinch. The filming is over before you know their last names"
"I lived in Hollywood long enough to learn to play tennis and become a star, but I never felt it was my home. I was never looking for a home"
"Leave yourself alone as much as possible. Don't worry. I never do. I'm too busy remembering things"
"Actors and actresses who say they never go to see their own pictures are talking through their hats"
"Life was easy as a blonde. I didn't have to think, I didn't have to talk. All I had to do was waltz around"
"I'm not impressed by the past very much. The past bores me"
"I am not temperamental. I just know what I want and if I don't have it, I try to get it"
"I don't accept flowers. I take nothing perishable"
"I don't like collecting anything I can't pack"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts