In his schoolboy days Warren Beatty was a star footballer that was offered 10 sporting scholarships and with the world of gridiron at his feet he had a big life decision to make, football or his real love of acting. Beatty was smitten with the silver screen and with his eye for the ladies he was not going to ruin his handsome good looks doing battle on the football field so he decided to follow his elder sister (Shirley MaClaine) and pursue his dream career as a thespian of the screen. There was a lot more to him than being eye candy for the ladies as his four Oscar nominations for best actor will testify. He was not just an actor also, as he preferred being behind the camera rather than in front of it as his 14 different Academy Awards during his career including 4 screenplay awards and 2 best director awards have shown. However the only time he lifted the Oscar Statuette in triumph was when he won the award for best director for the 1991 movie "Reds". Off screen he spent decades romancing Hollywood's most delectable leading ladies that left him with a womanising reputation and a Carly Simon song written about him. However Carly revealed in 2015 that only the second verse was written about him but she was grinningly quoted as saying this: "Warren thinks the whole thing is about him". As smooth as silk with his lines as he was with his ladies he was also good for a liner, so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Warren Beatty quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Henry Warren Beatty
- Born: 30th March 1937, Richmond, Virginia, U.S.
- Alma mater: Northwestern University and the Stella Adler Studio of Acting (New York)
- Occupation: Actor, director and producer
- Inspired by: Charles Boyer and Marlon Brando
- Sports: He was a high school American football start who was much sought after to the extent he was offered 10 football scholarships, however he turned them all down
- Nickname: The Chief
- Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
- Trivia: He has starred in four movies that were nominated for Academy Awards for the Best Picture and he was also nominated for best actor in each film. They were: Bonnie and Clyde (1967), Heaven Can Wait (1978), Reds (1981) and Bugsy (1991)
- Quotes about Warren Beatty: His sister Shirley MaClaine said of him; "That's why he's more comfortable behind the camera. He's in the total-control aspect. He has to have control over everything"
- Ex-fiancé Joan Collins had this to say about him; "His list of conquests ... read like a Who’s Who of Sixties and Seventies glamour queens"
"Marriage requires a special talent, like acting. Monogamy requires genius"
"Women are a problem, but if you haven't already guessed, they are the kind of problem I enjoy wrestling with"
"You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what you're doing is work or play"
"Polygamy is dumb fun. Monogamy requires much more sensitivity"
"I'm old, I'm young, I'm intelligent, I'm stupid. My tide goes in and out"
"Charity is taking an ugly girl to lunch"
"My notion of a wife at forty is that a man should be able to change her, like a bank note for two twenties"
"The Golden Globes are fun. The Oscars are Business"
"Even the promiscuous feel pain"
"Government is not show business"