Carly Simon was born into a musical family and long before her seventies hits and fame she had already released three albums in a duet with her elder sibling Lucy called the Simon Sisters. Her first hit record came in 1971 with the release of 'That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be' and there were a number of singles and albums released in the period up to November 1972 when she released the biggest hit of her career. You're So Vain hit the top of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and stayed there for 3 weeks at the start of 1973, it topped the charts around the globe and became one of the biggest selling records of the decade. Carly quite wisely kept quiet about who the song was written about and the subsequent columns written in the press all over the world helped to fuel sales as speculation grew about who it could be. It was not until 2015 when Carly finally disclosed that the song was (partially) about Warren Beatty after all, however she also revealed that only one verse was about Beatty and that led to further speculation about who the other mystery men could be. Her career was not just about one song though as her portfolio of hits can testify. She has sung on James Bond movies and won the most distinguished awards for musical achievement with an Oscar, Golden Globe and Grammy all honouring her contribution to music. Talented musicians and songwriters also create some fantastic one liners, so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Carly Simon quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Carly Elisabeth Simon
- Born: 25th June 1945, The Bronx, New York City, U.S.
- Occupation: Singer, songwriter, musician and author
- Instruments: Vocals, piano and guitar
- Famous for: Keeping the world guessing about who her hit song "You're So Vain" was written about
- Awards: She won an Academy Award, A Grammy and a Golden Globe for her 1989 hit "Let the River Run", which was entirely composed and recorded by herself
- Influenced: Amy Grant, Celine Dion, Natalie Maines, Taylor Swift and Tori Amos
- Trivia: She held a charity auction in 2003 where the highest bidder would discover the true identity of who You're So Vain was written about. Sports executive Dick Ebersol won the auction with a $50,000 bid and was sworn to secrecy not to reveal the persons identity
"Hiding pain requires an enormous amount of energy; sharing it is liberating"
"A really strong woman accepts the war she went through and is ennobled by her scars"
"You usually can’t tell what’s inspiring until you look back on it"
"I don’t think sexual infidelity means the end of a marriage. What’s more damaging is lying about it"
"The sound of birds stops the noise in my mind"
"Life is a dream even in its most painful moments, it's a dream that we can dance to"
"I've learned that nobody's perfect, and I don't expect myself to be perfect anymore"
"Worrying too much about other people's ears and not my own, I lost my way"
"All women who are singular in a man's field have a special power"
"I make every song I sing personal. I've never chosen a song that wasn't"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts