Viktor Yushchenko was the central banker whose realm of influence spread from the creation of the Ukrainian currency into the sphere of politics that saw him ascend to the head of state as its third president. It was not all plain sailing for the boy from the Sumy Oblast region of northeastern Ukraine as he soon found out in the run up to the 2004 presidential campaign after he was poisoned by a derivative substance of agent Orange called dioxin. Although he survived the poisoning his disfigured and pockmarked face made headlines around the world with a lot of suspicion being pointed to his pro-Russian political foes and the Putin regime itself. The election itself was too close to call and voting fraud was rampant which was the catalyst for the Orange Revolution of peaceful protest until a new election was announced and Yushchenko swept into power. His presidency was beset with economic and energy issues that were compounded by his slim majority and eventually led to his downfall at the 2010 election. His legacy is overshadowed by the western press casting him as the poster boy for Russian poisoning although he is better remembered for fearlessly leading the opposition parties during the Orange Revolution. Like most politicians he was also good for a one liner so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Viktor Yushchenko quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Viktor Andriyovych Yushchenko
- Born: 23rd February 1954, Khoruzhivka, Sumy Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
- Alma mater: Ternopil National Economic University and Academy of Banking
- Occupation: Banker, politician and president
- Prime ministership: He was the seventh Prime Minister of Ukraine from 22nd December 1999 until 29th May 2001
- Presidency: He was the third president of Ukraine from 23rd January 2005 until 25th February 2010
- Skulduggery: During the 2004 presidential campaign Yushchenko was poisoned with what was later identified as Dioxin. This resulted in his face becoming bloated with severe pockmarks showing all the hallmarks of chloracne. Test results showed the levels of dioxin in his system were 6,000 times higher than normal
- Revolution: Allegations of electoral fraud in the 2004 Ukrainian presidential election led to a wave of street protests that was to become known as the Orange Revolution as it paved the way to force a third and decisive vote that saw Yushchenko ascend to grasp the reins of presidential power from rival Yanukovych
- Trivia: Before he entered the political arena he had an important role in creating the Ukrainian national currency The Hryvnia
- Quotes about Viktor Yushchenko: President Geoge W. Bush said this about him; "You are a friend to our country, and you are an inspiration to all who love liberty"
"It's time to bury the war hatchet and to forget where it lies"
"Our minds and our hands will be our keep"
"Our mothers and fathers want change. They worked all of their lives, but today live in destitution"
"Ukraine must once again be revered and respected by its citizens as well as the East and the West"
"The conviction of our Ukrainian nation is embedded in the pages of its history"
"We cannot be divided either by the languages we speak, by the faiths we profess or by the political views we choose"
"Globalization does not mean one culture and language, but rather a beautiful mosaic of many languages and cultures communicating and cooperating through effective instruments"
"I am deeply convinced that the democratic coalition was ruined by one thing alone; Human ambition"
"Oil and gas are not only hydrocarbons, unfortunately, they're also the stuff of politics"
"What does Putin fear the most? Solidarity, international solidarity"