Giuseppe Garibaldi is renowned as a national hero in Italy and respected around the world for his freedom fighting against oppressive regimes in Europe and South America. A charismatic leader of men he is also considered one of the greatest generals of his era. As a humble and revolutionary leader he was also good for a few one liners so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Giuseppe Garibaldi quotes. I hope you enjoy reading them
- Mini Bio
- Name: Giuseppe Garibaldi
- Born: 4th July 1807, Nice, First French Empire
- Died: 2nd June 1882, Caprera, Kingdom of Italy
- Occupation: General, nationalist and freedom fighter
- Early revolution: Before leading his revolutionary battles in Italy Garibaldi was a freedom fighter in the Ragamuffin War with a band of warriors in Brazil and then fighting for independence in what is now known as Uruguay
- Trivia unusual: In the early stages of the American civil war president Lincoln was looking for competent generals and through intermediaries offered Garibaldi a position in the Union army, although he seriously considered joining they could not agree terms and it was not to be
- Seamanship: He was an able seaman and captained many ships on numerous voyages
- Red shirts: He was the founder of the Red Shirts with his followers known as the Thousand Red Shirts
- Trivia: Although not involved directly in the final unification of Italy his contribution is widely acknowledged as significant to paving the way to liberation
"Necessity does not submit to debate"
"I can offer you neither honours nor wages; I offer you hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles and death. Anyone who loves his country, follow me"
"Posterity will call you the great emancipator, a more enviable title than any crown could be, and greater than any merely mundane treasure"
"The slave shall show at last to his free brothers a sharpened sword forged from the links of his fetters"
"Here we either make Italy, or we die"
"Rome or death"
"The day the peasants will be educated in the truth, tyrants and slaves will be impossible on earth"
"A bold onset is half the battle"
"Man created God, not God, man"
"Bacchus has drowned more men than Neptune"