Vicente Fox will go down in history as the opposition presidential candidate who broke 71 years of political dominance by the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) by winning the 2000 election. He had a history of success before his political ascendency to the highest office in Mexico, after securing a bachelor's degree in business administration in 1964 he joined the Coca Cola company and quickly rose to the top position of CEO. Fox broke the hegemony a rival company held as the best selling soft drink in Mexico with his slick campaigns promoting Coca Cola until it surpassed the sales record held by Pepsi. After he left Coca Cola in 1979 Fox concentrated on his ranch and participating in various public activities in his home state of Guanajuato, this led him to pursue a political career where he sought to make change for the betterment of all Mexicans. In 1995 Fox was elected governor of Guanajuato and he served for 4 successful years earning the respect of his people and raising the expectancy of a nation as he was hailed as the man who could beat the incumbent political regime who the people had grown weary of their stagnant arrogance. Fox was duly elected in 2000 and he enjoyed 6 successful years as president. He may not have made the big difference he had hoped but his was a presidency of transition towards change and and in political terms change takes time. He had a smooth image and he endeared himself to the people with quotes like: "I am the only candidate to have ever milked a cow", meaning he could relate to the grass roots of agricultural workers. His opponents branded him as more of a personality than a politician saying he was all image and no political ideas. Amidst all the political hubris he shared many controversial one liners so here is my compilation of twelve of the best Vicente Fox quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Vicente Fox Quesada
- Born: 2nd July 1942, Mexico City, Mexico
- Alma mater: Universidad Iberoamericana and Harvard Business School
- Occupation: Politician and businessman
- Term in office: Fox was president of Mexico from 1st December 2000 until 30th November 2006
- Presidential order: He was the 55th president of Mexico
- Other political posts: He was Governor of Guanajuato from 25th September 1995 until 25th September 1999
- Political party: National Action Party
- Policies: He favoured a market-driven economy guided and fueled by the state
- Controversy: Fox outraged visiting Cuban leader Fidel Castro when he requested Castro limit his rhetoric about the U.S. in a speech and leave Mexico quickly after delivering his speech and consuming his meal
- Critical of: Donald Trump, he was quoted as saying: "your mouth is the foulest sh*thole in the world. With what authority do you proclaim who’s welcome in America and who’s not", amongst other anti Trump quips
- Trivia: Standing at 6ft 4in (193 cm) he is recorded as the tallest president in Mexican history
"Every idea has its time"
"There is no doubt that Mexicans, filled with dignity, willingness and ability to work, are doing jobs that not even blacks want to do there in the United States"
"There is no reason to hold to the anti-democratic rules of those who still live in the authoritarian past"
"Mexico is a democracy, every citizen has the right to express himself, even a former president"
"I'm committed to be Donald Trump's shadow until he is done with politics"
"Even though Trump is not the prettiest person in the room, we still have to dance with him"
"Prohibition didn't work in the Garden of Eden. Adam ate the apple"
"Mexico has defended itself and its territory"
"Instead of building walls, we should be building bridges"
"I am the guardian of power, not its owner"
"I am an honest person, transparent, that look citizens straight in their faces"
"Always, in every human action, there are leaders"