Cleopatra VII is up there as one the most famous women in history yet everything written about her was created by her enemies including the Romans who finally defeated her putting an end to the 300 year old Ptolemaic dynasty. The vanquished seldom fare very well in the annals of history but the story of Cleopatra has endured despite the political reasoning for her portrayal as an enchanting beauty capable of bewitching any man she desired through seduction. Indeed she did have affairs with two of the most powerful men of her time and gave birth to a son by Julius Caesar and Mark Antony to whom she bore three children. Whether she loved either is cause for much debate but she did have enough influence over them to get them to do her bidding much to the consternation of the Roman senate and her eventual nemesis Octavian. She was an exceptionally clever woman who knew how to administer a country, write medical books and command her military. Throughout history "clever women" have been derided as dangerous but despite her intelligence, irresistible charm, wit and persuasiveness she was doomed from the start as the last powerful leader in the region during a time when the Roman empire was in its ascendancy and she controlled the entire eastern Mediterranean coast. Of her charms the Roman poet Juvenal was quoted as saying of Cleopatra: "What woman will not follow when an Empress leads the way?". She was a polyglot who spoke 9 languages and she was the first Ptolemaic leader to learn Egyptian after all her predecessors preferred to speak their native Macedonian Koine Greek. When great leaders speak their people listen as their words take on real meaning, she was good for a one liner also so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Cleopatra VII quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Cleopatra VII Thea Philopator
- Born: 69 BC, Alexandria, Egypt
- Died: 12th August 30 BC, Alexandria, Egypt
- Occupation: Queen of the Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt
- Coronation: 51 BC
- Reigned: She reigned for 21 years until her death in 30 BC
- Interred: In the Tomb of Antony and Cleopatra, its whereabouts is unknown but it is believed to be close to Alexandria
- Controversy: Cleopatra was responsible either directly or indirectly for the death of three of her siblings as they all plotted against each other for the right to be rule the Ptolemaic kingdom of Egypt
- Trivia: The life of the most famous Pharaoh Queen has been remade for movies on many occasions but the 1963 epic "Cleopatra" starring Elizabeth Taylor is the most famous and it turned out to be one of the most expensive movies ever made
- Quotes about Cleopatra VII: The Greek biographer Plutarch said of her: "There was sweetness also in the tones of her voice; and her tongue, like an instrument of many strings, she could readily turn to whatever language she pleased"
"I will not be led in a triumph"
"Imperator, hand over thy fishing-rod to the fishermen of Pharos and Canopus; thy sport is the hunting of cities, realms, and continents"
"Be it known that we, the greatest, are misthought"
"Nothing could part us in life, but now in death we are likely to change places"
"All strange and terrible events are welcome, but comforts we despise"
"My honour was not yielded, but conquered merely"
"Kings are not elected. Gods are not elected"
"In praising Antony I have dispraised Caesar"
"Make death proud to take us"
"Let it be done"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts