Few people have merged the upper echelons of the fashion industry with the status of becoming the greatest rock and roll muse to two of the music industries most creative and legendary musicians. Pattie Boyd managed to traverse the tricky path of gracing the front covers of Vogue and Vanity Fair with marrying into the height of Beatlemania and eventually a Ménage à trois as Eric Clapton was in hot pursuit. Beatle George Harrison and guitar legend Eric Clapton both famously wrote touching odes to Pattie as they nailed their unmitigated love for the queen of the rock chic's in songs that would immortalise her forever. Boyd had an uncanny knack of providing the inspiration that lit the creative spark within both musical legends that gave her the status of rock's most legendary muse. In some respects her influence in the late 60's probably spread further than just George as she was responsible for introducing transcendental meditation to The Beatles and encouraged the band to attend a 1967 lecture by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi at the Hilton Hotel in London. There was far more to Pattie than inspiring rock legends as she went from being the subject of the camera lense to actually shooting the pictures and she went on to enjoy a successful career as a photographer. As you would expect from such a colourful character she was good for a one liner also, so here is my compilation of 12 of the best Pattie Boyd quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Patricia Anne Boyd
- Born: 17th March 1944, Taunton, Somerset, United Kingdom
- Alma mater: The Hazeldean School, the St Agnes and St Michael Convent Boarding School, and St Martha's Convent
- Occupation: Model, photographer and author
- Marriage resume: George Harrison 1966 - 1977 (div), Eric Clapton 1979 - 1989 (div) and Rod Weston 2015 to present date
- Nickname: Layla
- Height: 5' 7" (1.7 m)
- Songs written about her: "Something" and "If I Needed Someone" (both George Harrison), "Layla" and "Wonderful Tonight" (both Eric Clapton)
- Trivia: She got into modelling after an agent walked into the Elizabeth Arden salon where she worked as a hair stylist and the very next day she had her first portfolio shots that led to her glittering modelling career
- Quotes about Pattie Boyd: Eric Clapton cooed this about her: "I was desperately obsessed with Pattie, but creating a song is just putting a stamp on a feeling"
- Author Anthony Haden-Guest described her as: "A swirl of miniskirt, beneath which limbs flicker like jackknives and glimmer like trout"
"Musicians always have music in their heads about their perceptions of the world"
"George, with velvet brown eyes and dark chestnut hair, was the best-looking man I'd ever seen"
"We were both shy and spoke hardly a word to each other, but being close to him was electrifying"
"He's found something stronger than the Beatles, though he still wants them to share it"
"Perhaps Eric Clapton just wanted what George Harrison had"
"It's amazing we've come through it and we're all still alive"
"Eric was worried about his talent totally disappearing if he stopped drinking, which is a common idea among creative people"
"There was a sadness in the house and garden, a kind of melancholy which was very Eric, in a way, and very creative"
"The future never occurred to me. I just loved life every day"
"I'm blessed with the fact that I'm a fighter. I've always known life was meant to be joyful"
"It was great fun to hang around the Beatles. They had amazingly fast minds, and they were incredibly amusing and funny and witty"
"Eric loves himself. I don’t think there’s much room for me"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts