Eric Clapton has enjoyed an outstanding musical career spanning six separate decades and he has been hailed as one of the most influential guitarists of all time. His first success came with The Yardbirds who he joined in 1963 but he left on the same day their first major hit was released "For Your Love" in March 1965 citing the bands musical direction as the reason for the fall out. In 1966 he formed the band Cream with Jack Bruce and Ginger Rogers and it has since been billed as one of the early super groups. Cream enjoyed great success with hits such as "Sunshine of Your Love" and "White Room" in 1968, they were commercially successful and in the same year completed a sell out tour of the U.S. His next band was Blind Faith that was formed in 1969 with Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood and Ric Grech. This was a short lived group that released one LP and played a sell out tour during its seven months of existence. Next up for Clapton was Derek And The Dominoes and during this period of his career he met and fell in love with Pattie Boyd the wife of George Harrison of the Beatles fame, however at this point Pattie spurned him. This inspired Clapton to write Layla about her and she later left Harrison and married Eric. After the demise of the Dominoes Clapton pursued his solo career that has so far seen him awarded 18 Grammy's, 4 Ivor Novello Awards and a Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music. He has sold more than 130 million records worldwide and is the only 3 time inductee into the Rock and Roll hall of fame. As one of the greatest rock and blues performers his style and influence has left an indelible mark onto the history of rock and roll. He was good for a one liner also so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Eric Clapton quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Eric Patrick Clapton
- Born: 30th March 1945, Ripley, Surrey, England
- Alma mater: Kingston College of Art
- Occupation: Singer, songwriter and guitarist
- Inspired by: B.B King, Buddy Guy, Freddie King, John Lee Hooker, John Martyn, Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson
- Genre: Blues and rock
- Instruments: Vocals and guitar
- Nickname: Slow Hand
- Height: 5' 9¾" (1.77 m)
- Marriage resume: Pattie Boyd (27th March 1979 - 24th June 1989 divorced) and Melia McEnery (1st January 2002 - present)
- Trivia: He has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on 3 occasions; As a solo artist (2000), with Cream (1993) and with The Yardbirds (1992) making him the only artist to be inducted 3 times
- Quotes about Eric Clapton: B.B. King said of him: "This guy sings like he was born down below Mississippi"
- Eddie Van Halen said about him: "Clapton is brilliant. He's the only one who moved me. The only one who made me want to play the guitar"
- Queen guitarist Brian May described him like this: "His fingers are directly wired to his soul"
"I'm an egomaniac with an inferiority complex"
"Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached"
"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance"
"Every time you pick up your guitar to play, play as if it's the last time"
"It's been up to me to inspire me"
"One of the most beneficial things I've ever learned is how to keep my mouth shut"
"Risk is trying to control something you are powerless over"
"The only planning I do is about a minute before I play"
"Give me a guitar and I'll play; Give me a stage and I'll perform; Give me an auditorium and I'll fill it"
"Plant your love and let it grow"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts