Sir Isaac Newton's contributions to science and mathematics is immensurate, he inspired a scientific revolution and to this day he is still inspiring generations of physicists and mathematicians aspiring to reach new heights with ground breaking research. Just to name but a few; He outlined the laws of motion which led to him quantifying the laws of gravitational attraction, in mathematics his work contributed to the formulation of calculus and he formalized how white light is made up of spectral colours. There were inventions, books, papers, dissertations and a transfer of knowledge never witnessed before. Undoubtedly he was one of the greatest minds that this world has ever produced and he was quite modest with it. From the finest minds comes the finest thoughts so here is my list of eight of the best Sir Isaac Newton quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Isaac Newton
- Born: 4th January 1643, Woolsthorpe, Lincolnshire, England
- Died: 31st March 1727, Kensington, Middlesex, England
- Alma Mater: Trinity College, Cambridge
- Laid to rest: He was interred inside Westminster Abbey in London
- Occupation: Research fellow at Trinity college Cambridge and Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge
- Knighthood: He was knighted as Sir Isaac Newton by Queen Anne in 1705
- Specialist fields: Physics, Natural philosophy, Alchemy, Mathematics and Astronomy
- Trivia: For all the scientific and mathematical firsts he discovered he also spent half his life experimenting with alchemy which probably explains why traces of mercury were found in his hair after they were tested before his funeral
"To arrive at the simplest truth requires years of contemplation"
"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people"
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
"Every action has an equal and opposite reaction"
"We build too many walls and not enough bridges"
"Plato is my friend, Aristotle is my friend, but my greatest friend is truth"
"I have made myself a slave to philosophy"
"Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts