Douglas MacArthur was born into a family steeped in military tradition with his father being awarded the Medal Of Honor for his actions in the battle of Missionary Ridge during the American civil war. Douglas too opted for a military career and he saw action during the Mexican revolution as well as both world wars. For his heroic service in WWI he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross two times and the Silver Star on six occasions, but still the Medal of Honor eluded him. He made no secret of wanting to achieve the same combat award as his father by receiving the Medal of Honor and although he never faced down the Japanese on the front line he was still rewarded with this distinguished medal for his defence of the Philippines in WWII. Many battles later and MacArthur himself was there in person on board the USS Missouri in September 1945 to accept the Japanese surrender and bring down the curtain on WWII. He was never afraid to state his opinion but soldiers are there to serve orders and not criticise them so when MacArthur spoke out against President Harry S. Truman's handling of the Korean war he was relieved of his command. This proved to be Trumans biggest mistake as his popularity plunged and to this day Douglas MacArthur is still held in high esteem by the American public. Criticising presidents aside, here is the list I have compiled of 10 of the best Douglas MacArthur quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Douglas MacArthur
- Born: 26th January 1880, Little Rock, Arkansas, U.S.
- Died: 5th April 1964, Washington, D.C., U.S.
- Occupation: Soldier and general of the U.S. army
- Other ranks held: Commander of the Philippine armed forces during WWII
- Controversy: President Truman relieved MacArthur of his duties as Supreme Allied Commander because he publicly criticised government policy during the Korean war, he came home to a heroes welcome from the American population
- Trivia: His father Arthur MacArthur was awarded the Medal Of Honor for his exploits in the American civil war while Douglas MacArthur was awarded the same Medal Of Honor for his accomplishments during World War II making them the first father and son to be bestowed this honour.
"There is no substitute for victory"
"While the hordes of death are mighty, the battalions of life are mightier still"
"Even when opportunity knocks, a man still has to get up off his seat and open the door"
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation"
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"
"Give me ten thousand Filipino soldiers and I will conquer the world"
"Never try to regain the past, the fire will have become ashes"
"War’s very object is victory-not prolonged indecision"
"Old soldiers never die; They just fade away"
"Years wrinkle the skin. Giving up wrinkles the soul"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts