The Watergate scandal that brought down president Nixons administration in 1974 was the worlds introduction to Carl Bernstein as it made him one of the most famous investigative journalists of the twentieth century. Along with his journalistic partner Bob Woodward they made a doggedly determined team who followed the money trail that led all the way from the Watergate burglars to their pay masters in the Whitehouse. Post Watergate he went onto a glittering journalism career and author of best selling books including a biography of Hilary Clinton. After his Washington Post Watergate scoop Bernstein continued to be a thorn in the side of corrupt governmental practices and even in 2018 his reporting invoked the ire of President Donald Trump who was quoted as saying about Carl Bernstein: "A man who lives in the past and thinks like a degenerate fool, making up story after story, is being laughed at all over the country! Fake News". It certainly sounds like an agitated president and it makes you think what's he hiding and it caused Bernstein to retort: "I think it's time to recognise that what we are watching in the Trump presidency is worse than Watergate". Could the Trump administration be this veteran reporters swansong? Either way it makes riveting reading and whilst Carl has always been good for a one liner here is my compilation of 10 of the best Carl Bernstein quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Carl Bernstein
- Born: 14th February 1944, Washington, D.C., U.S.
- Occupation: Investigative journalist and author
- Alma Mater: University of Maryland
- Famous for: Breaking the Watergate scandal that brought down the presidency of Richard Nixon
- Marriage resume: Carol Honsa (1968 - 1972 divorced), Nora Ephron (1976 - 1980 divorced) and Christine Kuehbeck (2003 - present day)
- Books authored: In all he has authored 6 books including the infamous 1974 epic "All The Presidents Men" which was co-authored by his journalistic partner Bob Woodward and was later made into a movie starring Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman
- Trivia: With his reporting partner Bob Woodward they collectively earned the nickname "Woodstein"
- Quotes about Carl Bernstein: Former defence secretary Leon Panetta was quoted as saying about both Woodward and Bernstein: "Their basic expertise was in trying to find the truth but we’re in a time when facts are under attack. They’re dealing with a more challenging world where the mere fact of who they are doesn’t carry the kind of respect it once did"
"Good journalism should challenge people, not just mindlessly amuse them"
"The greatest felony in the news business today is to be behind, or to miss a big story. So speed and quantity substitute for thoroughness and quality, for accuracy and context"
"You can't serve the public good without the truth as a bottom line"
"A contempt for the truth or the reality of most people's lives - has overrun real journalism. Today, ordinary Americans are being stuffed with garbage"
"For the first time, the weird and the stupid and the coarse are becoming our cultural norm, even our cultural ideal"
"The failures of the press have contributed immensely to the emergence of a talk-show nation, in which public discourse is reduced to ranting and raving and posturing"
"We now have a mainstream press whose news agenda is increasingly influenced by this netherworld"
"The Congress is a dysfunctional institution; its broken. One of our three branches of government is broken"
"The reality is that the media are probably the most powerful of all our institutions today"
"We are in the process of creating what deserves to be called the idiot culture"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts