Benito Juárez was the epitome of the Mexican kid done good, born to a peasant family from the indigenous Zapotecs of Mexico he literally worked his way out of poverty and into the forefront of Mexican politics. Having lost both of his parents as a child he was raised by his uncle and he had to venture into the city of Oaxaca to start his education. He had an aptitude for learning and studied to become a lawyer but he could never forget his past and his empathy for the poor of Mexico drove him into a political career. Juárez promoted reforms to benefit the people of Mexico but had to flee to exile from the regime of Santa Anna, however he soon returned and helped to overthrow the dictator and became part of a provisional government under General Juan Álvarez. He became president in 1858 and was so popular with the people he served for five terms. His presidency was never an easy ride as he had to deal with a civil war and fight off a super power as France tried to colonise Mexico under Maximilian von Habsburg. His period of power was known as La Reforma because his policies weighed on the side of the poor giving them land, freedom to vote and free speech. He also separated the church from the state and placed the army under the control of the government. History has treated him kindly due to his selfless policies that aimed to share the wealth of the country, he was also good for a one liner so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Benito Juárez quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Benito Pablo Juárez
- Born: 21st March 1806, San Pablo Guelatao, Oaxaca, New Spain
- Died: 18th July 1872, Mexico City, Mexico
- Occupation: Lawyer, judge, politician and 26th president of Mexico
- Alma mater: Sciences and Arts Institute of Oaxaca
- Nationality: Mexican of Zapotec origins
- Years in power: He was president of Mexico from 15th January 1858 – 18th July 1872 (his death)
- Trivia: Mexico city's main international airport is named after him and is often referred to as Mexico City Juárez
- Trivia: The Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini was named after him
- Quotes about Benito Juárez: The Columbian Alejo Morales said of him: "Juárez is the upright statesman that makes a clear contrast with one too many traitors and betrayers; the man of good faith that chooses misery and death to shame, because the word "duty" is more flattering to him than the insignia of Great Marshall"
"Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace"
"The government has a sacred duty to address the nation and make it listen to the voice of its greatest rights and interests"
"Sooner or later the cause of rights and justice will triumph"
"Men are nothing, principles are everything"
"Democracy is the destiny of humanity; Freedom its indestructible arm"
"As a son of the people, I could never forget that my only goal should be their greater prosperity"
"Mexicans: let us now pledge all our efforts to obtain and consolidate the benefits of peace"
"The Imperial Government will not succeed in subduing the Mexicans, and its armies will not have a single day of peace"
"There is one thing beyond the reach of perversity. The inevitable failure of history, she will judge us"
"The emission of ideas by the press ought to be as free as the human capacity for thought"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts