Muammar al-Gaddafi was the charismatic Libyan revolutionary who usurped the reigning monarchy during a 1969 coup d'état and held the reins of power for 42 years until an uprising saw the tables turn where he became the victim of a duplicitous conflict. Many theories abound as to the "real" reason for the 2011 toppling of Gaddafi's regime but with the emergence of the Hilary Clinton emails the waters have been mudded somewhat with some hypothesis suggesting it was more than likely about the protection of global banking, money and oil against his proposed pan African currency backed by gold. History will be the best judge of the leader who was famously described in a Ronald Reagan quote as the: "mad dog of the Middle East". Indeed it could take up to 100 years for mainstream historians to recognise the good he did for his people far overshadows whatever version of treachery he was alleged to have perpetrated. Before the 1969 "Green Revolution" Libya was one of the poorest countries in the world but within a few years of his reign Gaddafi went about a program of wealth distribution that saw: Free education and medical treatment for all, free water for all, an agricultural program that fed the country, a state owned banking system and a country that was independent and debt free to the west. Yes it was a dictatorship but the majority of the country benefitted from projects such as housing re-distribution where every family owned their own home free of any rental payments, housing became a right of the people. Popularly as Colonel Gaddafi he came out with an apt quote about his country: "I have created a Utopia here in Libya. Not an imaginary one that people write about in books, but a concrete Utopia". As mad dogs and Africans go his words were tabloid gold dust, so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Colonel Gaddafi quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Muammar Muhammad Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi
- Born: 7th June 1942, Qasr Abu Hadi, Italian Libya
- Died: 20th October 2011, Sirte, Libya
- Occupation: Revolutionary leader and dictator of Libya
- Popularly known as: Colonel Gaddafi
- Height: 6'00" (1.83 m)
- Coup d'état: He led the 1969 "Green Revolution" which ousted the monarchy of King Idris I after years of corruption and what were described as unholy alliances with Israel and the western world
- Books: In 1975 he authored "The Green Book" which set out his political agenda with his road map for a successful nation
- Trivia: He initiated the world’s largest irrigation project called The Great Manmade River that was supplying fresh water to most of the population until NATO bombed it and the factory that supplied its pipelines
- Quotes about Muammar al-Gaddafi: The Italian politician Mario Borghezio said this of him: "Gaddafi was a great leader, a true revolutionary who should not be confused with the new Libyan leadership swept into power by NATO's bayonets and by oil multinationals"
- Hugo Chavez ex-president of Venezuela called him the: "Liberator of Libya, He will be remembered as a great fighter, a revolutionary and martyr"
- Carlos the Jackal gushed with glowing respect by stating: "This man did more than all the revolutionaries"
"Once a ruler becomes religious, it becomes impossible for you to debate with him. Once someone rules in the name of religion, your lives become hell"
"In the Middle East, the opposition is quite different than the opposition in advanced countries. In our countries, the opposition takes the form of explosions, assassinations, killings"
"Libya lived for 5000 years without oil and it is ready to live another 5000 years without it"
"Reagan is mad. If he were here, I would tell him the truth about us. He hears about us only through hostile sources"
"Man's freedom is lacking if somebody else controls what he needs, for need may result in man's enslavement of man"
"I won't be a party to a conspiracy to mobilize the Arabs against the Persians. Only the forces of colonialism benefit from such a conspiracy"
"Libya has had to put up with too much from the Arabs for whom it has poured forth both blood and money"
"How can the Security Council issue resolutions based on reports from news agencies?"
"I am a Bedouin warrior who brought glory to Libya and will die a martyr"
"If Abu Nidal is a terrorist, then so is George Washington"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts