Martha Washington will forever be known as the first lady of the first president of the United States and little did she know on that fateful day in 1758 when she fell in love with George Washington that this was the man who would write his own history and forge the mightiest nation the world has ever seen. Although she was reluctant for George to take the presidency she did her duty and hosted many affairs of state in the then capital New York and became known as Lady Washington in diplomatic and social circles. Behind every great man there is a woman just as great and just as essential to all his worldly endeavours, Martha was that esteemed lady and her voice was well respected so her words took on great meaning. Speaking of words here is my compilation of 6 of the best Martha Washington quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Martha Dandridge
- Born: 13th June 1731, Chestnut Grove, Virginia U.S.
- Died: 22nd May 1802, Mount Vernon, Virginia U.S.
- Occupation: Plantation owner and first lady of the U.S.
- Nickname: Once George had assumed the presidency she earned the moniker Lady Washington
- Wealthy widow: Martha married young to an older gentleman called Daniel Parke Custis, he died when she was 27 leaving her a very wealthy woman of means
- Offspring: Martha had four children and sadly she outlived them all with only John Parke Custis reaching adulthood but he too succumbed to a virus and died age 27
- Second marriage: Because of her standing in the community Martha was not short of extremely rich suitors but she only had eyes for George and they married on 6th January 1759
- Trivia: Martha loathed Thomas Jefferson and 2 years after her husband Georges death she had to endure what she felt was a patronising visit from him as she felt he visited only for political reasons
"We carry the seeds of happiness with us wherever we go"
"I have seen too much of the vanity of human affairs, to expect felicity from the splendid scenes of public life"
"The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances"
"Keep your business affairs in your own hands. It's the only way to be happy"
"Every body and every thing conspire to make me as contented as possible"
"I am only fond of what comes from the heart"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts