Les Paul is renowned as one of the early pioneers of electronic music and he is world famous in the music industry for creating the Les Paul electric guitar. A natural musician from an early age he progressed through several instruments and created his first invention while he was still a teenager by making a neck worn harmonica holder. His early career was steeped in country music but he earned his musical stripes on the jazz scene. Les Paul first mooted the idea of a solid body electric guitar to the Gibson Guitar Corporation in 1941 and he was rebuked, in a twist of irony Gibson came back to him when a competitor Fender starting selling them in 1950. He met and married a singer called Mary Ford and they recorded a string of hits together through the 1950's. After his 2009 death a plethora of rocks finest came out to pay tribute to the revolutionary ways he influenced the music business throughout his lifetime. With greatness and talent often comes fantastic one liners with real meaning, so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Les Paul quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Lester William Polsfuss
- Born: 9th June 1915, Waukesha, Wisconsin, U.S.
- Died: 12th August 2009, White Plains, New York, U.S.
- Occupation: Musician, songwriter and inventor
- Stage name: He never legally changed his birth name to his adopted stage name Les Paul
- Genre: Country, jazz and blues
- Hall of fame: Les Paul is the only person to be featured in the National Inventors Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Record releases: During his career he released 40 albums (including compilations) and 54 singles with 3 of them topping the charts at number 1: "It's Been a Long, Long Time" (with Bing Crosby) in 1945, "How High the Moon" in 1951 and "Vaya Con Dios" in 1953
- Famous for: Pioneering the solid-body electric guitar.
- Trivia: Somewhat bizarrely for someone so talented who devoted his whole life to music he couldn't actually read sheet music
"The guitar is just a wonderful instrument. It's everything: a bartender, a psychiatrist, a housewife. It's everything, but it's elusive"
"The audience, they're not professionals. They just love music. It isn't necessary to play over their heads to be admired"
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes"
"Here's the secret about the guitar, it's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know"
"There are times when you want to go where you used to go and you can't go there"
"Every setback might be the very thing that makes you carry on and fight all the harder and become much better"
"To this day, no one has come up with a set of rules for originality. There aren't any"
"When you just get mixed up & there's too much going on, then it's time to pick up your guitar"
"A guitar is something you can hold and love and it's never going to bug you"
"You can't go to the store and buy a good ear and rhythm"