Kenny Rogers is the Texas boy who went from leaving school head long into a career that has spanned seven decades and seen him selling a mouth watering 120 million albums worldwide. There have been awards aplenty with his 3 Grammy awards proudly topping off a list including every single Country award imaginable. Hits like The Gambler, Islands In The Stream, Lucille and Coward Of The County have made Rogers into a legend that has sold out arenas all over the globe. His acting career boasts a plethora of movies and TV roles including the character Brady Hawkes whom he played in the movie The Gambler that spawned a further three sequels. As a passionate photographer he has published 2 books in the 1980's Kenny Rogers' America (1986) and Your Friends and Mine (1987). In 2012 he became a best selling author topping The New York Times best sellers list with his autobiography, Luck or Something Like It - A Memoir. I'm unsure about the 'luck' part because Kenny has proven himself time and time again to be a multi talented individual who has excelled in every environment he has chosen to participate in. Great talents make great one liners and they are given extra meaning because of the platform they have risen to. So here is my compilation of 10 of the best Kenny Rogers quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Kenneth Ray Rogers
- Born: 21st August 1938, Houston, Texas, U.S.
- Occupation: Singer, songwriter and actor
- Awards: He has won 3 Grammy Awards for "Lucille" (1977) "The Gambler" (1979) and the Best Duo Country Vocal Performance with "Make No Mistake She's Mine" (1979 with Ronnie Milsap)
- Genre: Country and soft rock
- Instrument: Vocals, guitar and harmonica
- Discography: He has released 39 studio albums, 42 compilation albums and 80 singles with 30 of them topping the charts. His record sales have exceeded 165 million
- Trivia: He once took the place of a Kenny Rogers impersonator to sing "Islands In the Stream" as a duet with a Dolly Parton impersonator and the audience at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas did not realise he was the real thing
"Music is what I am, everything else is what I do"
"There is a trade off - as you grow older you gain wisdom but you lose spontaneity"
"Working with Dolly is a great rush for me because we are good friends, and we have been, forever"
"If you want people to know what your message is, just sing it"
"I had holes in my jeans well before it was fashionable"
"Growing older is not upsetting; Being perceived as old is"
"I do ballads that say what every man wants to say and that every woman wants to hear"
"You can't make old friends. You either have them or you don't"
"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great"
"Flirting is more electric than passion. It's the anticipation"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts