Iwan Bloch was a German psychiatrist who first introduced to the world the concept of the science of sexuality. Apart from the many books which he personally penned he also published (under the pseudonym Eugène Dühren) The Marquis de Sade’s 120 Days of Sodom which recounted the sexual adventures of four degenerates cutting a trail of debauchery through eighteenth century France. Although less well lauded for his trail blazing ideas that were before their time Iwan Bloch is still recognised as the first sexologist which led to a fascinating trail researching and compiling a list of eight of the best Iwan Bloch quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Iwan Bloch
- Born: 8th April 1872, Delmenhorst, Grand Ducal Oldenburg, Germany
- Died: 21st November 1922, Berlin, Germany
- Occupation: Dermatologist, psychiatrist, sexologist and author
- Famous for: He is quaintly remembered as the first Sexologist
- Books: The Marquis De Sade His Life Works, The Sexual Life Of Our Time, A History Of English Sexual Morals, Sexual Life In England Past And Present, Marquis De Sade The 120 Days of Sodom
- Trivia: He was instrumental in promoting the science of sexuality
"In not making the decision, you've made one. Not doing something is the same as doing it"
"Women are in fact pure sex from knees to neck"
"They are a sexual surface or target; We have only a sexual arrow"
"My former work upon this subject I now regard as inadequate, youthful and containing numerous errors"
"A book can justly be called obscene only when it has been composed simply, solely, and exclusively for the purpose of producing sexual excitement"
"We men have concentrated our apparatus in a single place"
"The greater part of the perversions of the present day are not to be regarded as degenerations"
"Woman is awakening to the entirely new existence of a free personality"