Over the years Helen Mirren has played some remarkable roles from royalty to prostitutes and from police detectives to villains and assassins. Her acting versatility coupled with her screen and stage presence have seen her forge a career that most Hollywood actresses could only dream about. Yet she has kept a humbleness and understanding of the human side of life that is quite alien to most who have so successfully navigated the world of the thespian. Many reach a pinnacle in their acting career but few have the necessary skills to stay there like Helen Mirren has. Top actresses are never short of a good one liner, so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Helen Mirren quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Helen Lydia Mironoff
- Born: 26th July 1945, Chiswick, London, England
- Occupation: Actress
- Alma mater: New College of Speech and Drama
- Name: In the 1950's her father changed their Russian surname from Mironoff to the more English sounding Mirren
- Famous ancestor: Her great, great, great grandfather was the decorated Russian soldier field-marshal Kamensky who became a Russian hero during the Napoleonic wars
- Major awards: Oscar and a Golden Globe for best actress in The Queen (2006), Golden Globe for best actress in Losing Chase (1996), Tony Award for best actress in The Audience (2015) and she also won 4 Emmy awards
- Typecast: She has been cast to play a Queen in 6 different movies
- Trivia: She is one of only 17 actresses who have conquered the movie, television and stage worlds by winning an Oscar, Emmy and Tony award for best actress
"You write your life story by the choices you make"
"I don't think it's good to try and change anyone. The trick and the mystery - of relationships and life in general - is to learn to live with the bits you don't like"
"Flesh sells. People don't want to see pictures of churches. They want to see naked bodies"
"Actors are rogues and vagabonds. Or they ought to be. I can't stand it when they behave like solicitors from Penge"
"The trick in life is learning how to deal with it"
"My poshed-over voice was learnt and assimilated. I was an Essex girl"
"We're all idiots when we're young. We don't think we are, but we are. So we should be"
"All any of us can do is make the best of what we have and live with generosity and kindness. Now that is beautiful"
"Being powerful is so much more interesting than being beautiful"
"I'm a would-be rebel. The good girl who'd like to be a bad one"