Evo Morales Quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Juan Evo Morales Ayma Antoine Zola
- Born: 26th October 1959, Isallawi, Sullka, Bolivia
- Alma mater: Agrarian Humanistic Technical Institute of Orinoca (ITAHO)
- Occupation: Union leader, politician and president
- Firsts: He is the first president of Bolivia to come from the indigenous population as all his predecessors were of European ancestry
- Political party: Movement for Socialism (MAS)
- Political ideology: The phrase Evoism was coined to describe his mixed bag political beliefs which are anti imperialist, anti capitalist but not left wing enough to be termed a Marxist while his mixed economic policies have been described as Evonomics
- Controversy: The former Bolivian President Carlos Mesa and his Vice President Víctor Hugo Cárdenas have both accused the authorities of spying on them after Morales stated that a meeting Mesa had with the U.S. Charge d’Affaires Peter Brennan was tantamount to espionage against his government
- Trivia: Once in power he reversed the tax on the sale of gas from 18% to 82% and with the tax windfall he set about his battle to reduce extreme poverty in Bolivia
"We can not have equilibrium in this world with the current inequality and destruction of Mother Earth. Capitalism is what is causing this problem and it needs to end"
"I learned that the political is above the legal, that’s why when my advisers tell me, Evo, what you are doing is illegal, I say, if it is illegal, then do it legal, you have studied for that"
"Some countries of Europe have to free themselves from the US Empire. They are not going to frighten us because we are a people with dignity and sovereignty"
"I am sure of the fact that Fidel and Chávez are commanders of the forces of freedom in America, to liberate America and the world"
"it is time for definition either you are with the MAS or you are a fascist. There is no middle ground. Define yourselves"
"What mankind must know is that human beings cannot live without Mother Earth, but the planet can live without humans"
"Without a US ambassador, there is less conspiracy, and more political stability and social stability. Without the International Monetary Fund, we are better off economically"
"The chicken that we eat is chock-full of feminine hormones. So, when men eat these chickens, they deviate from themselves as men"
"If we want to save the planet earth, to save life and humanity, we have a duty to put an end to the capitalist system"
"Mother Earth, which shows us that Mother Earth is our life, we are born out of the Earth we live on the Earth and return to the Earth"
"In Iraq ... the U.S. intervened militarily, and all they did is take control over oil fields, and oil wells"
"Baldness that appears to be normal is a disease in Europe, almost all of them are bald"
"It's impossible to change things without encountering resistance"
"The US uses drug trafficking and terrorism for political control"
"Capitalism is the worst enemy of humanity"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts
Sharing Is Caring
Evo Morales Biography
Evo Morales was born to a rural farming family that were in 1979 forced by drought to move from the community of Isallavi to Cochabamba in the province of Chapare where they took up farming coca and fruit.
It was here that Evo became a union activist fighting for the rights of coca farmers it was also the period where his disdain of U.S. foreign policy was cultivated as they coerced the Bolivian government to actively stop the coca industry which they blamed for their country's cocaine problems.
Morales steadily rose up the union ranks but he could see that the only way to protect the coca growers was from the political stand point. He was first elected to the National Congress in 1997 and in the 2002 election his MAS party gained 581,884 votes which was 22 percent of the electoral vote.
In the following 2005 election the MAS party swept Morales into power with 54% of the vote and it was the largest majority for 30 years. It was a great victory for the people of Bolivia but it came much to the aghast of the Americans who added his administration to the axis of evil with Cuba and Venezuela.
He went about implementing his policies and he did succeed in alleviating the impoverished plight of thousands of rural Bolivians. He always aligned himself with the just causes of the indigenous peoples of Latin America but despite all the economic advancements under his rule Bolivia still remains one of the poorest countries in South America.
As you would expect from a slick politician he has been good for a one liner so this is my compilation of 15 of the best Evo Morales quotes
Quotes About Evo Morales
Fidel Castro said of him:
"Brother Evo, possesses all the qualities needed to lead his country and his people during these difficult and singular times"
Politician Álvaro García Linera described Evo's success stating:
"We are in Bolivia’s golden age, and it is defined by progress, production, and a digitalized youth"