Dennis Weaver was the actor of native American descent who got his big break in the made for TV 1950's western series Gunsmoke. The show was a runaway success and aired on TV for 20 years until its eventual demise in 1975. By this time Weaver was a star in his own right having starred in hit movies such as Orson Welles' "A Touch of Evil" (1958) and Steven Spielbergs "Duel" (1971). In 1970 he was cast in another TV series called McCloud that spun out into another success that ran for seven years earning him two Emmy Award nominations. Weaver had been a committed vegetarian since the late 1950's and as his career grew so did his interest in environmental activism. He was active in a number of organisations including being president of "Love Is Feeding Everyone" (LIFE) which managed to feed more than 100,000 of the homeless each week in Los Angeles. He also served as the president of the Screen Actors Guild between 1973 and 1975 as he wanted to put something back into the profession that made his career. He was a man of many talents as he also released several country music albums and as to be expected he wasn't short of a sharp one liner or two either, so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Dennis Weaver quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: William Dennis Weaver
- Born: 4th June 1924, Joplin, Missouri, U.S.
- Died: 24th February 2006, Ridgway, Colorado, U.S.
- Alma mater: University of Oklahoma
- Occupation: Actor and environmental activist
- Founded: The Institute of Ecolonomics which was a non profit organisation studying econonic solutions to environmental issues
- Heritage: He was a registered Cherokee due to his mixed native American ancestry that also included genes from the Osage tribe of the great plains
- Big break: Gunsmoke (1955) where he was cast as Chester Goode
- Trivia: His Colorado home was constructed entirely out of recyclable goods with 3 foot thick walls consisting of compacted earth and recycled tyres and cans
"The people of the future will look at meat-eaters in disgust and regard us in the same way that we regard cannibals and cannibalism"
"Man is innately a creature of love. That love is the most powerful force in the universe, and eventually, it's a very slow process, it will conquer"
"The basic message of Gunsmoke was that there's going to be the bad and there's going to be the good. And most of the time, the good will win out"
"The wise person understands that his own happiness must include the happiness of others"
"We're the only species that have crapped up the planet and the only species that can clean it up"
"We don't have to sacrifice a strong economy for a healthy environment"
"Changing mass consciousness is an individual responsibility"
"The premise is simple: One economy and one environment, and they're interdependent"
"It's fun to be a little bit different in the world, to make a few new trails of your own"
"When we realize we can make a buck cleaning up the environment, it will be done"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts