Dean Martin was the rat pack crooner dubbed the king of cool for his natural ability to ooze charm and self assurance for all occasions. Yet on the most part this was no act, his whole real life persona seemed to tap into an effortless pool of charisma that seeped through every pore of his body, he was charm personified. Martin started off as a boxer and after one broken nose too many he decided to pursue a less physically demanding career on the stage. He could sing and tell a gag but it was the smooth way he could deliver his lines or an expression that made him really stand out. His first big success came with his comedy partner Jerry Lewis and after that stage of his career had run its course he took on more demanding movie roles in The Young Lions (1958), Rio Bravo (1959) and the rat pack movie Ocean's 11 (1960). Into the 1960's he was a star in his own right and although the movie roles were still offered he was edging closer to a career on TV and the stage. His TV show changed names through the subsequent 3 decades but the format remained pretty much intact with idle chat, poking fun at his guests and crooning to the audience, it was a big hit. The Las Vegas stage was where he felt really at home and with his rat pack friends they owned the spotlight as their names endured in the neon of the strip for nearly 40 years. As you would expect from the king of cool he also knew a few good one liners, so here is my list of 8 of the best Dean Martin quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Dino Paul Crocetti
- Born: 7th June 1917, Steubenville, Ohio, U.S.
- Died: 25th December 1995, Beverly Hills, California, U.S.
- Occupation: Actor, singer and comedian
- Nicknames: Dino and The King of Cool
- Stage name: Dean Martin
- Early success: His partnership with Jerry Lewis spawned 16 movies but the successful partnership did not stand the test of time due to personality conflicts between the two
- Television: The Dean Martin Show started in 1965 and spanned 3 decades and 2 name changes including The Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts and it became one of the most successful TV programs in history
- Trivia: Although his hard drinking image was true he seldom drank much while in the theatre as his stage liquor turned out to be mostly apple juice
"Your lips and mine, two sips of wine, memories are made of this"
"When your opponent's sittin' there holdin' all the aces, there's only one thing to do: kick over the table"
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
"It was a woman who drove me to drink. Come to think of it, I never did hang around to thank her for that"
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on"
"I don't drink anymore; I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"
"I once shook hands with Pat Boone and my whole right side sobered up"
"In a tuxedo, I'm a star. In regular clothes, I'm a nobody"