David Frost was the British born son of a preacher man who rose to fame during televisions satire boom of the early 1960's. His quick wit and charm served him well during his career especially during interviews as politicians and the rich and famous clamoured to be interviewed by him. He had a charming style that used flattery to soothe the ego, which was something he recognised all famous people liked. He used his charming persona to quite devastating effect whereby he would lull the interviewee into a false sense of security and with their guard down they would more often than not reveal far more than they would have liked. Frost had an ability to be able to call anybody and get through to talk to them, his phone list was the envy of the media world and he procured it by spending years rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous. His famous Nixon interviews were a prime example of his initially non confrontational interviewing style before upping the ante to inquisitor much to the surprise of Nixon who in a moment of clarity felt the relief of the confessor as he laid bare his deep regret and sorrow for the Watergate scandal. It became known as one of the greatest interviews of the twentieth century and secured David Frost's position as one of the most highly regarded interviewers of all time. As you would expect from a sharp witted satirical broadcaster he was also good for a one liner so here is my compilation of 10 of the best David Frost quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: David Paradine Frost
- Born: 7th April 1939, Tenterden, Kent, England
- Died: 31 August 2013, MS Queen Elizabeth, Mediterranean Sea
- Alma mater: University of Cambridge
- Occupation: Television host and journalist
- Height: 5' 11½" (1.82 m)
- Best known for: Interviewing famous people with a list of interviewees including seven presidents of the U.S. and eight British prime ministers
- Big break: After being discovered by producer Ned Sherrin he got his big break in 1962 on the satirical BBC program called That Was the Week That Was
- Trivia: During his career he was one of the most frequent flyers on Concorde having taken more than 400 London/New York flights in a 20 year span
- Quotes about David Frost: Former British prime minister Tony Blair said of him: "He could be - and certainly was with me - both a friend and a fearsome interviewer"
- British political commentator Andrew Marr said about him: "Today there are two types of political interviewer - those who've learnt from David Frost, and second rate interviewers"
"Being upbeat is the key to life"
"Are you really saying that in certain situations the President can decide whether it's in the best interest of the nation and then do something illegal"
"Diplomacy ....the art of letting somebody else have your way"
"Having one child makes you a parent; Having two you are a referee"
"Love is when each person is more concerned for the other than for one's self"
"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home"
"Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally"
"Success in America is unlike success anywhere else"
"The dividing line is the president's judgment"
"Why didn't you burn the tapes?"