Brian Jones will always be remembered as the man who founded The Rolling Stones, gave them their name and promoted them from their first ever gig at the Marquee Club on 12th July 1962 to various other R&B venues around London. His philosophy was to play cover numbers from the blues music he loved so dearly, but the reality was they could only go so far playing covers and they had to diversify and create their own style of music. Jones was a good musician but he was not a good songwriter and it soon became apparent that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards had an ability to combine their talents to make some promising music. With the onset of the Jagger/Richards songwriting partnership it was becoming apparent that they had hit on a successful formula and as they grew with successive hits it was then that Brian Jones musical involvement began to diminish as a polar opposite to the rise of The Stones. He descended into an abyss of drink and drugs and there followed 2 prosecutions for drug offences. It was these drug offences that denied him a visa for the U.S. tour in 1969 that tipped the balance and the band asked him to leave. Not long after this he was found dead under the influence of drugs at the bottom of his swimming pool. It was a sad ending for the man who founded and helped create the platform for The Rolling Stones to ascend to world dominance as the kings of rock and roll. He will always be remembered fondly as the multi instrumentalist who put the Stones together and someone with that capability is never short of a one liner so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Brian Jones quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Lewis Brian Hopkin Jones
- Born: 28th February 1942, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
- Died: 3rd July 1969, Hartfield, Sussex, England
- Occupation: Musician, singer and songwriter
- Instrument: Guitar and vocals
- Famous for: Founding and giving the name to the legendary rock and roll band The Rolling Stones
- Years active: 1960 - 1969
- Controversy: In 1967 his girlfriend of two years Anita Pallenberg left him for fellow Stone Keith Richards which heightened the always tense situation between Jones and the band
- Trivia: A member if the infamous "27 club" that features a large group of famous musicians who died at the age of 27
"Our sort of success is a first class ticket to a lot of things"
"When I made the sixth form I found myself accepted by the older boys; suddenly I was in"
"There were about 5000 people around the car, the roof of the car got pushed in"
"We knocked a policeman off his bike ... broke his leg or something"
"There's not much visible freedom, we have to choose very carefully where we go, where we socialise"
"The future as a Rolling Stone is very uncertain"
"I no longer see eye-to-eye with the others over the discs we are cutting"
"My ultimate aim in life was never to be a pop star"
"I've already told it all. It’s in the newspapers"
"Jimi Hendrix was the most exciting guitarist I've ever heard"