They broke the mold when they made the audacious footballer Zlatan Ibrahimovic with his technical prowess spanning every known adjective from sublime to outrageous, he has scored goals, scowled and won championships in most of the big leagues in Europe. He learnt his football on the mean streets of Rosengård a district populated mostly by immigrants in the Swedish city of Malmo and after a rough childhood his footballing skills earned him his first professional contract with Malmo FF. From there Zlatan was transferred to AFC Ajax of Amsterdam where he helped them to two Eredivisie titles. It was when he moved to Italy that the boy from Rosengård really came of age as a successful footballer as every club he played for won the Serie A league title. Ibrahimovic readily gives credit to his managers Fabio Capello who coached him at Juventus and Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan and he states they both had the most influence on his career. Indeed Ibrahimovic was quoted as saying about Jose Mourinho that he; "turned me from a cat into a lion, dragged things out of me at Inter that no one had done before". Zlatan was still ambitious and a he harboured a dream of playing for Barcelona and when the Barca manager Pep Guardiola came knocking he had no hesitation in signing for the Catalan giants. Again he helped deliver trophies in his first season with the La Liga title in the 2009-2010 season. However his dream move to Barcelona ended in animosity as he fell out with coach Guardiola and he was transferred back to Italy where he promptly helped AC Milan to the 2010-2011 Serie A title. After his latest Italian sojourn he moved to France where he was part of the successful Paris St Germain team that won 3 consecutive league titles. His next move was to the English league when Manchester United swooped in to sign him. After a successful stint in England Zlatan went to ply his trade across the Atlantic for LA Galaxy in the MLS. Every team Zlatan played for he scored on his debut and for Barcelona he is the only player to score in their first 5 league matches. He is Swedens all time top goal scorer and he has to his credit 13 championship trophies in four different domestic leagues. There are rarely dull moments around precocious talents like Zlatan and his one liners were always memorable, so here is my compilation of 12 of the best Zlatan Ibrahimovic quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- Born: 3rd October 1981, Malmö, Sweden
- Occupation: Footballer
- Nickname: Ibra
- Football unusual: Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Cristiano Ronaldo are the only footballers to have scored a goal in every minute of a football match during their professional careers
- Facts unusual: He trademarked his name "Zlatan" in 2003 at the Swedish Patent and Registration Office meaning that he receives exclusive rights to the name when it is associated with a sports product
- Best known for: His direct technique, sublime creativity, quick temper and his remarkable football vision
- Controversy: He threatened to break both legs of his team mate Rafael van der Vaart, had a fist fight with Milan team mate Oguchi Onyewu, received numerous football bans for kicking, stamping and punching opponents and was involved in public verbal spats with players and managers at nearly every club he has played at
- Inspired by: Muhammad Ali gave him inspiration and Zlatan was quoted as saying: "One of my idols in sport and outside the sport also... he believed in his principles and he never gave them up"
- Trivia: He is the only player to play in the UEFA Champions League with 7 different teams: Ajax, Juventus, Inter Milan, Barcelona, A.C. Milan, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United
"We usually say that you cannot become a legend before death. But I am a living legend"
"He's a lucky guy Cristiano, he always gets first row tickets to see Messi win his awards"
"I'm like wine. The older I get, the better I get"
"Arsene Wenger asked me to have a trial with Arsenal when I was 17. I turned it down. Zlatan doesn't do auditions"
"Come to my house and you'll see if I'm gay. And bring your sister"
"I like Balotelli: he's even crazier than me. He can score a winner, then set fire to the hotel"
"Zidane was from another planet. When Zidane stepped onto the pitch, the ten other guys just got suddenly better. It is that simple"
"I was probably with the best team in history. Their football was beautiful. When I prepared for a game, I knew I had won even before we started"
"You bought a Ferrari, but you drive it like a Fiat"
"I didn’t injure you on purpose, and you know that. If you accuse me again I’ll break both your legs, and that time it will be on purpose"
"I came like a hero, left like a legend"
"What Carew does with a football, I can do with an orange"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts