Uri Geller is the Israeli illusionist and self claimed psychic that has been fascinating the public with his abilities for decades. Made famous for his spoon bending in the early 1970's his career has taken him all over the world and even mining companies have enlisted his talents for mineral exploration. It has not all been plain sailing for Uri as he has had to defend himself from scientific sceptics with James Randi being a constant thorn in his side. Indeed, in 1973 Randi conspired with the host of The Tonight Show Johnny Carson to set Uri up for an appearance on the show, while Uri was expecting an interview they set him up to perform paranormal activity in what the illusionist felt was a hostile environment so he informed Johnny that he could not perform in such an unnatural fashion. In a twist of Orwellian-like irony the debunking that the conspirators had planned backfired and it only made people believe that Uri's powers were real and not magic, because after all if magic was used it would work every time. His career really took off after this episode of The Tonight Show. Years later, in November 2000 Geller sued Nintendo for 60 million yen (100 Million US Dollars) for using what he believed was an image based on him and Uri Geller was quoted at the time as saying: "Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image". The Pokeman character Yun Geller had paranormal powers and carried a spoon but also had an emblem that resembled the symbol of the Nazi SS. He has had a colourful and successful career during which he was always good for a one liner, so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Uri Geller quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Uri Geller
- Born: 20th December 1946, Tel Aviv, Palestine (now Israel)
- Occupation: Illusionist and psychic
- Alma mater: Terra Santa College
- Military service: He enlisted with the Israeli Army's Paratroopers Brigade and was wounded in action during the 1967 Six Day War
- Books: Geller has authored twelve books including his autobiography "My Story", "Uri Geller's Fortune Secrets" and "Unorthodox Encounters"
- Scepticism: The Canadian stage magician and a scientific sceptic James Randi has repeatedly dismissed Gellers paranormal displays as magic tricks and goes out of his way by duplicating his performances using stage magic tricks
- Litigation: A student sued Gellers promoters in 1971 for breach of contract as he said he witnessed sleight of hand magic tricks and not as promised psychic powers, he won the case and was awarded 27.5 lire (about $5)
- Height: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
- Trivia: In 1973 the United States Defense Intelligence Agency conducted a study at the Stanford Research Institute on Uri Geller whereby the eminent parapsychologists Harold E. Puthoff and Russell Targ concluded that Uri had performed successful experiments that warranted further study
- Quote about Uri Geller: James Randi said of him; Uri Geller may have psychic powers by means of which he can bend spoons; if so, he appears to be doing it the hard way
"I can say with absolute certainty I do not cheat. I am not a magician"
"I don't care what those schmucks think. I'm a millionaire"
"I no longer want to be rich because I am rich"
"I'll no longer say that I have supernatural powers. I am an entertainer. I want to do a good show. My entire character has changed"
"My boss treated me like a slave and I felt completely degraded. Then, just once, I did a terrible thing, I peed in his tea"
"When you're young you're more in touch with your real talents, but so often the 30 year slog knocks it out of people"
"Do what you love. When you love your work, you become the best worker in the world"
"If you're brilliant and open-minded, you can start at the top"
"Sometimes my dreams take me to other dimensions"
"I like sensationalism, it's a part of what I do"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts