Although Queen Latifah started her career as a rap singer she quickly transitioned to a mainstream vocalist, then onto TV work, movies, talk show hostess and even a movie producer. Once this multi talented prodigy of the streets of Newark, New Jersey got going there was just no stopping her. Born Dana Elaine Owens she adopted the stage persona Queen Latifah and her debut album All Hail The Queen took off thanks to the success of her single Wrath of My Madness and a new hip hop star with attitude was born. Her charisma and versatility got noticed by directors and after a few smaller roles she was involved in the 1996 box office hit Set It Off which ultimately led her to a bigger and more lucrative career in movies and TV. It's incredible to think she has been involved in more than 40 movies compared to releasing 9 albums, not bad for a hip hop singing rapper from the hood. She has never been known to be short of words so it was interesting selecting my compilation of eight of the best Queen Latifah quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Dana Elaine Owens
- Born: 18th March 1970, Newark, New Jersey, U.S.
- Occupation: Singer, songwriter, actress, model, TV presenter and producer
- Feud: She had a very public and ongoing feud with Foxy Brown that lasted from 1996 until 2000
- Shock event: Her older brother Lance Owens died in a accident riding the motorcycle Queen she bought for him
- Favourite role: Cleopatra Sims from the 1996 movie Set It Off
- Trivia: First female rapper to be nominated for an Academy Award
"You have to stand for what you believe in and sometimes you have to stand alone"
"You have to constantly be improving yourself. Make your life the masterpiece you want it to be"
"No one ever got ahead by going through the motions"
"I don’t want to be a supermodel; I want to be a role model"
"Every woman is a queen and we all have different things to offer"
"Let your inner queen's voice come through loud and clear. Be strong, be authentic, be you"
"Dreams become reality when we put our minds to it"
"There are different flavours of sexiness"