Qian Xuan is known as one of the Chinese masters of old whose work is revered by artists and admired by connoisseurs of artistic culture who appreciate the life he injected into his canvas. Life was not a bed of roses for Xuan as he struggled for many years especially after the fall of the Song dynasty to whom he would remain loyal until his dying breath. He was a man of his convictions and he preferred to face poverty rather than be disloyal but through his skill as an artist did make a living as a professional artist. His paintings are rich with the faces of nature in the plant and flower form of which he was very skilled in painting. From great talent often springs wise words with deep meaning, so here is my compilation of 6 of the best Qian Xuan quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Qian Xuan
- Born: 1235, Wuxing, Zhejiang Province, China
- Died: 1305, Wuxing, Zhejiang Province, China
- Occupation: Artist, poet and painter
- Style: Calligraphy and brush painting with a memorable native blue and green style
- Influenced: Zhang Yu and Huang Gongwang
- Also known as: Shun Ju, Zhaxi Weng and Yu Tan
- Era: Late Song dynasty and early Yuan dynasty
- Politics: After the fall of the Song dynasty he remained loyal to the old guard and refused to publicly acknowledge the new Yuan dynasty
- Trivia: Zhang Hu described the work of Qian Xuan in his colophon as art as an historical document and as such it was a cornerstone to inspire future artisans
- Quote about Qian Xuan: Huang Gongwang said this of him; "Qian Xuan was a scholar of Wuxing. People do not realize that the histories and classics were all strung together in his breast"
"When did these two dragons fly off to the heavens, leaving only these shadows of thoroughbreds to pass down"
"I have therefore pictured him. On the twenty-first day of the tenth month of Zhiyuan 27, I happened to paint this for Mr Mei of Jiangyin"
"Wuling is in the prime of his youth, energetic and restless, with white steed and golden saddle, he is the free spirit"
"By the ancient catalpa at dusk, why should he care about old age"
"How pleasant are the elegant bamboo and trees"
"In a peaceful pavilion, relaxing with bare stomach, how wonderful it must feel"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts