Patrick Lichfield was the quintessential society photographer who the rich and famous turned to during his career that spanned 40 years. His affable character as the charming globetrotting snapper saw him equally comfortable with rock stars, models and sporting icons as he was with royalty. He gave gossip columnists of his era ample column inches so it was not too difficult a task to find some good one liners from him. So here is my list of six of the best Patrick Lichfield quotes.
Image courtesy of Kristine on Flickr, original taken by Trevor Leighton in 1986
- Mini Bio
- Name: Patrick Lichfield
- Born: 25th April 1939, Chelsea, London, England
- Died: 11th November 2005, Oxford, England
- Occupation: Photographer
- Famous for: Being a royal photographer who shot the official photographs at the wedding of Princess Diana and Prince Charles
- Title: 5th Earl of Lichfield
- Trivia: Helped to preserve and define the swinging sixties scene in London
"To marry a photographer who charges around the world with the most beautiful girls is not a reliable prospect"
"It's usually a disadvantage to be a peer if you have a profession. People don't take you seriously"
"The 1960's were good for the upper classes because the barriers were broken down for us as well and we all came into contact with people we wouldn't normally have met"
"You need the model as much as he or she needs you. If they don’t want to help you, it will be a very dull picture"
"I'd like to be taken seriously before it's too late"
"I might have broken a few hearts, but my own was pretty much intact"