Stories of Keith Moons' excesses are part of the fabric of rock and roll, the bad boy behind the drums of The Who smashed his way through stage sets, hotels and bars to cement his place as legend in the annals of rock and roll history. His habit of smashing up hotel rooms and throwing TV's out of windows into swimming pools resulted in the band being banned from every Holiday Inn worldwide. The ban stemmed from them smashing up the Flint Michigan Holiday Inn and Keith driving a brand new Lincoln Continental into the swimming pool. Pete Townshend once reminisced that they got thrown out of every hotel they stayed in and was quoted as saying; "Keith Moon, God rest his soul, once drove his car through the glass doors of a hotel, driving all the way up to the reception desk, got out and asked for the key to his room. His style of drumming changed the face of rock percussion, the speed and precision of his effervescent and aggressive drumming beat raised the bar and influenced other rock legends such as Jon Bonham of Led Zeppelin fame. The great characters of life can always be relied on for great one liners and because of their famed status it gives their words more meaning. So here is my compilation of 10 of the best Keith Moon quotes
- Mini Bio
- Name: Keith John Moon
- Born: 23rd August 1946, Wembley, London U.K.
- Died: 7th September 1978, Westminster, London U.K.
- Occupation: Drummer, songwriter and actor
- Nickname: Moon The Loon
- Genre: Rock and hard rock
- Instrument: Drums and vocals
- Influenced by: Buddy Rich, Dennis Wilson, D.J. Fontana, Elvin Jones, Gene Krupa and Jo Jones
- Influenced: Animal, Clem Burke, Dave Grohl, Neil Peart, Stan Demeski and Zak Starkey
- Discography: Apart from The Who repertoire of songs he released one solo album called Two Sides of the Moon (1975)
- Trivia: Moon had a penchant for blowing things up and he was once quoted as saying; "I never realised dynamite was so powerful. I'd been used to penny bangers before"
"I told people I was a drummer before I even had a set, I was a mental drummer"
"I'm still the best Keith Moon-style drummer in the world"
"I took the hand brake off, it started to roll and it smashed straight through this pool fence and the old Lincoln Continental went into the Holiday Inn swimming pool, with me in it"
"When you’ve got money and you do the kind of things I get up to, people laugh and say that you’re eccentric"
"The hotel smashing is one way I get relief from the public image. I have no temper. I do it in a spirit of amusement rather than anger"
"I’m banned everywhere. With my record I’m not surprised. That’s why I have to buy me own hotels"
"I took out me hatchet and chopped the hotel room to bits. The television. The chairs. The dresser. The cupboard doors. The bed. The lot of it. It happens all the time"
"I was a rust repairer and full-time survivor. I survived all the major earthquakes, and the Titanic, and several air crash"
"My friends call me Keith, but you can call me John"
"They're always saying I'm a capitalistic pig. I suppose I am. But ... it's good for my drumming"