Jane Bolins life was one of groundbreaking firsts, from becoming the first African American to graduate from Yale law school to becoming the first black female judge in the U.S. she was always at the forefront of breaking down barriers. She was a social activist who was the first to assign probation officers to cases regardless of race or religion and she ensured the rights of children were upheld by adding a requirement that all publicly funded child care agencies would accept children regardless of the racial or ethnic background. During her career she was known for making many sound statements so here is my compilation of six of the best Jane Bolin quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Jane Bolin
- Born: 11th April 1908, Poughkeepsie, New York, U.S.
- Died: 8th January 2007, Long Island City, Queens, New York, U.S.
- Occupation: Attorney and judge
- Famous for: Becoming the first black female judge in the U.S.
- Other major achievements: Becoming the first black female to graduate from Yale university with a law degree
- Trivia: In 2011 her autobiography was released; Daughter of the Empire State: The Life of Judge Jane Bolin
"I'd rather see if i can help a child than settle an argument between adults over money"
"When I came in, the one or two black probation officers handled only black families. I had that changed"
"Those gains we have made were never graciously and generously granted. We have had to fight every inch of the way"
"Families and children are so important to our society, and to dedicate your life to trying to improve their lives is completely satisfying"
"We have to fight every inch of the way and in the face of sometimes insufferable humiliations"
"I wasn't concerned about first, second or last. My work was my primary concern"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts