Ilie Nastase was the original bad boy of tennis whose on court antics and temper tantrums won him nearly as many critics as the ATP trophies he accumulated. He was a natural athlete that was gifted with a velvet touch whenever he grasped a tennis racket. He was equally adept at the baseline as he was attacking the net but it was his elegant stroke play coupled with his on court speed and delicate touch that saw him rise to the top of the tennis world in the early 1970's. It was not just his tennis that made headlines as his film star good looks drew as much interest from the ladies as it did from the tabloids. Without doubt he was one of the most gifted players of his generation as well as being one of the most out spoken, meaning he was always good for a one liner, so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Ilie Nastase quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Ilie Năstase
- Born: 19th July 1946, Bucharest, Romania
- Occupation: Tennis player
- Grand Slam titles: Ilie won 7 grand slam titles; 2 singles, 3 doubles and 2 mixed doubles
- ATP Titles: He is in the top 10 players for winning Association of Tennis Professionals titles with his record standing at 103 being made up of 58 singles and 45 in doubles
- Nicknames: Nasty and the Bucharest Buffoon
- Famous firsts: He was the first male tennis player to have won the French Open title without dropping a set during his 1973 triumph in Paris
- Trivia: Nastase proved there was life after tennis as he has penned 8 books including novels and his own autobiography
"I was always rather nasty. I was willing to be friends with the Devil, just to cross the bridge"
"I haven't reported my missing credit card to the police because whoever stole it is spending less than my wife"
"I was president of the Romanian Tennis Federation for 13 years but now I have moved on"
"Why write a news story like this? Just to have a scandal? There are many more important things going on"
"As long as I can get angry then I play well"
"I don’t regret it and they can send me to prison if they want - I don’t care"
"If you have confidence you have patience. Confidence, that is everything"
"Anything I say, I am the bad boy"
"I don't believe you can compare eras. It's not right"
"It’s not an opera it’s a game"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts