Igor Stravinsky was born west of Saint Petersburg in the town of Oranienbaum to a musical family who despite Igor's shared interest in music his parents steered him towards a career in law. He never did get that law degree which was largely due to him devoting more time to practicing his music than to learning his law. During this period he met Russian composer Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov who took the young Igor under his wing and taught him everything he knew up until his death in 1908. Stravinsky's early work opened doors for him to wider audience and by 1913 he became well known throughout Europe for his revolutionary 'The Rite of Spring' which actually caused a riot on its opening night. He spent the next 25 years mostly in France and Switzerland until his wife Katerina Gavrlovna Nossenko and his daughter Ludmila died of tuberculosis in 1939 and 1938. This gave him the extra incentive to leave Europe and go to the U.S. and while there he completed his renowned 'Symphony In C'. More great works were on their way with the opera's The Rake's Progress (1951) and Agon (1957). He won many awards for the mastery of his craft including the Royal Philharmonic Society Gold Medal in 1954 and the Léonie Sonning Music Prize in 1959. His legacy is one of the greatest twentieth centuries composers and he is often considered as the father of modern classical music. He generally let his music do his talking but when he did speak you knew it meant something, so here is my compilation of 8 of the best quotes by Igor Stravinsky.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Igor Fyodorovich Stravinsky
- Born: 17th June 1882, Oranienbaum, Saint Petersburg, Russian Empire
- Died: 6th April 1971, Manhattan, New York, U.S.
- Inspiration: The Russian composer Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov who gave private tutelage to a young Stravinsky for several years before his death
- Emigration: After the deaths of his wife and daughter he emigrated to the U.S. in 1939 and he became a U.S. citizen in 1946
- Occupation: Composer, conductor and pianist
- Famous works: His most famous works were the ballet 'The Rite of Spring' and the orchestral 'Symphony in C'
- Trivia: He is the only classical composer honoured with a star on the Hollywood walk of fame, it is located at 6340 Hollywood Boulevard
"What gives the artist real prestige is his imitators"
"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music; they should be taught to love it instead"
"My music is best understood by children and animals"
"Art is the opposite of chaos. Art is organized chaos"
"I haven't understood a bar of music in my life, but I have felt it"
"A cultural snob is someone who claims to be familiar with the incomprehensible"
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end"
"Music is the sole domain in which man realizes the present"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts