Although Ian McEwan was born in the garrison town of Aldershot he spent most of his formative years in Libya, Singapore and Germany as he followed his soldier father through his many postings. After graduating with honours from the University of Sussex in 1971 he set about writing short stories and after honing his trade he was well on his way to becoming an award winning author starting off in 1975 with 'First Love Last Rites' which eventually went on to become a movie in 1997. His writing die was cast and he went on to pen fourteen novels and five screenplays. Eleven of these were adapted into movies including Atonement which was a worldwide box office success grossing $130 million dollars. His writing in the 1970's earned him the moniker Ian Macabre due to its blood lust and sexually depraved content, however his style mellowed as he settled into married life and the tone of his work became less controversial. He has packed a lot of writing into his books making it interesting research compiling my list of 8 of the best Ian McEwan quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Ian Russell McEwan
- Born: 21st June 1948, Aldershot, England
- Occupation: Novelist and screenwriter
- Awards: He was nominated six times for the Man Booker prize and won it outright in 1998 with his novel 'Amsterdam'
- Shock event: The BBC halted production on his 1979 play Solid Geometry because of alleged obscenities that may outrage the public
- Nickname: His writing in the 1970's and 1980's earned him the moniker Ian Macabre because of the blood, guts and general depravity
- Trivia: His 1975 set of short stories 'First Love Last Rites' won him the Somerset Maugham Award for best writer
"Not being boring is quite a challenge"
"The law is all about drawing clear lines. Life is not like that"
"True intelligence requires fabulous imagination"
"The moment you lose curiosity in the world, you might as well be dead"
"When there are no consequences, being wrong is simply a diversion"
"Self-consciousness is the destroyer of erotic joy"
"He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit"
"There are ways in which art can have a longer reach than politics"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts