True sporting stars that over the course of their career garner legendary status are few and far between but Gary Player can lay claim to that status. This humble South African sporting legend was also good for a few one liners so here is my compilation of 10 of the best Gary Player quotes. I hope you enjoy reading them.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Gary Player
- Born: 1st November 1935, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Nicknames: The Black Knight and Mr Fitness
- Collective nickname: "The Big Three" was a collective moniker referring to Gary Player, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. It was first coined in the 1960's when these three titans of the game dominated world golf
- Occupation: Professional golfer
- Became professional: 1953
- Majors: During his career he accumulated nine major championship wins
- Course design: Through his subsidiary companies he has been involved in over 300 golf course design projects spanning 5 continents
- Other works: Through his non-profit organization "The Player Foundation" he has raised more than $64 million for underprivileged children’s education in every corner of the world
- Trivia: He holds the record for the most Masters appearances having participated in at least the first 2 rounds on 52 occasions, with the last being in 2009
"It's a marriage. If I had to choose between my wife and my putter, well, I'd miss her"
"We create success or failure on the course primarily by our thoughts"
"The harder you work, the luckier you get"
"The ideal build for a golfer would be strong hands, big forearms, thin neck, big thighs and a flat chest. He'd look like Popeye"
"A strong mind is one of the key components that separates the great from the good"
"If one isn't prepared to suffer during adversities, I don't really see how he can be successful"
"Golf is a puzzle without an answer. I've played the game for 40 years and I still haven't the slightest idea how to play"
"Golf asks something of a man. It makes one loathe mediocrity"
"You must work very hard to become a natural golfer"
"I've studied golf for almost 50 years now and know a hell of a lot about nothing"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts