Ferenc Puskás has been classed one of the greatest footballers ever to emerge out of Hungary to be ranked as one of the greatest players of all time. Skill, speed, power and goals were what he was known for and some of the goals were memorable including 4 in the 1960 European cup final against Eintracht Frankfurt. Indeed Puskas is the all time 2nd highest goal scorer in 20th century professional football with 681 goals spanning a 23 year career, he was second only to Pele who scored 758 goals. He started his career at Kispest AC who in 1949 were renamed Budapest Honved and became the national army team where Puskas rose to the rank of major which earned him the moniker of the galloping major. In 1953 Hungary stunned the football world with a display that humiliated the mighty England 6-3 at Wembley stadium and to cap it all Puskas scored a goal of breathtaking quality to announce himself firmly on the world stage of international football. During the Hungarian revolution in 1956 Puskas went into exile and subsequently received a football ban of 18 months. After the ban was over Real Madrid signed him and he went on to break records, win trophies and score goals galore. He was the top scorer in Spain in 4 seasons 1959–60, 1960–61, 1962–63, 1963–64 and this was the player most top teams daren't risk to sign after his football exile due to being over weight and over 30, thankfully the Real Madrid president Santiago Bernabeu had the vision and Puskas had the talent and the script to write his own history. Fantastic talents tend to make great one liners so here is my list of 10 of the best Ferenc Puskás quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Ferenc Purczeld Biró
- Born: 2nd April 1927, Budapest, Hungary
- Died: 17th November 2006, Budapest, Hungary
- Occupation: Footballer, coach and manager
- Notable achievements: He won the Hungarian league and the Spanish league titles on 5 occasions in both countries. He was also a 3 time European cup winner with Real Madrid
- International notable achievements: He scored 84 goals in 85 appearances for Hungary
- Managerial achievements; He guided Panathinaikos to the European cup final in 1971 although they lost 2-0 to Ajax, the final was played at Wembley Stadium
- Nicknames: The Galloping Major and Öcsi
- Trivia: One year after his death the Hungarian capital of Budapest renamed a street after the legendary footballer
"The ball should be moved early, preferably on first contact. To run with it is often only to waste valuable attacking time"
"Nobody ever made me feel a foreigner in Madrid and I never felt it necessary to jettison my Hungarian-ness"
"Kopa, Alfredo and myself formed a card school when travelling and we would clean up against the Spanish players"
"I swore to myself I would never return. I felt bitter at such treatment, after so many years giving my best for the nation"
"We of Hungary will have to realise that the fighting spirits is still one of the greatest assets in football"
"You can only kick with one foot at a time, otherwise you fall on your arse"
"Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me"
"I would be a liar if I said we were not pretty nervous on the day of the match"
"We didn't always have boots so we played barefoot on any sandy patch we could find"
"I'll never forget the way everyone we encountered in England hailed the victory without resentment"