Bob Denard was a legend among mercenaries, for nearly 30 years he was a gun for hire and there were many takers looking for someone with a ruthless streak to enforce rebellions, coups or just maintain order. He led 4 coup d'état at the Comoros Islands, one in Benin and he and his troops earned the nickname les Affreux (the Dreadful). He saw action in Angola, helped support the government in Congo, helped the royalist rebellion in Yemen, was employed by the Shah of Iran and was involved in various uprisings in Gabon, Nigeria, Rhodesia ans Zaire. He always maintained he had the tacit support of either the French government or French secret services and he was tried on 3 occasions in France and although found guilty he never really served any jail time due to government witnesses giving mitigating evidence in his support. Bob Denard was a man whose actions spoke much louder than his words, but it is his one liners I have compiled here for six of the best Bob Denard quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Bob Denard
- Born: 29th April 1929, Bordeaux, France
- Died: 13th October 2007, Paris, France
- Occupation: Soldier and mercenary for hire
- Famous for: Leading numerous coup d'état and mercenary activities across the African continent and the middle east
- Trivia: The Dogs Of War by Frederick Forsyth and the movie The Wild Geese were said to be inspired by his mercenary activities
"I was a soldier - Never a murderer"
"It’s true, I wasn't a saint - You can’t be in combat"
"I didn’t have such permission, but I had passports given to me by the intelligence services"
"We had our code of ethics, our code of honor. We never committed acts of terrorism, never killed innocent civilians"
"There was the adventure - There was also the money"
"The rule in this business is that there are no contracts"