Ernest Lawson was a Nova Scotia born landscape impressionist artist who studied his art in the U.S., Mexico and France before settling in New York in 1898. After he and many other fine artists of the day were rejected by the National Academy Of Design in New York they decided to challenge its hegemony of prominent exhibitions by setting up their own. It proved successful and The Eight revelled in the publicity they received that elevated them to patronage status in the world of art. His success didn't last long and he was reduced to teaching commissions through the 1920's before he settled in Miami in 1936. He is most remembered for his landscapes of Upper Manhattan before the advance of urbanisation took away this last echelon of rural Manhattan. He died in Miami in odd circumstances with some sources saying the cause of death was drowning while others state a heart attack and many of his friends and family suspected foul play. He was well travelled man who talked art his whole life, so here is my compilation of six of the best Ernest Lawson quotes.
- Mini Bio
- Name: Ernest Lawson
- Born: 22nd March 1873, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Died: 18th December 1939, Miami Beach, Florida, U.S.
- Education: Kansas City Art Institute, Santa Clara Art Academy (Mexico City), Art Students League (New York) and Académie Julian (Paris)
- Occupation: Artist and landscape painter
- Genre: Impressionism
- Trivia: He was a member of The Eight, a group of artists who in protest against the National Academy of Design set up their own exhibition in 1908 at the Macbeth Gallery in New York
"Colour is my specialty in art . . . It affects me like music affects some persons - emotionally"
"I’m trying to get a little more solidity in some of my masses, even if the paintings might seem less charming. I ’m not sure yet if I ’m succeeding at it"
"Put more paint on your canvas and less on yourself"
"Colour should be used to depict the three major emotions in a man's life – anticipation, realization and retrospection"
"I believe man's emotions can be expressed in a clear, understandable way through colour"
"As with medicine, French influence kills if taken in too large a dose"
Great quotes are not where you find great wisdom. It's where you share this knowledge that counts